Author Topic: A pal asked me if I had ever considered a Harley Davidson  (Read 1735 times)

Offline Pir8life

• Versys Pro
  • With great power comes great responsibility
  • Bike: 2015 V1K
  • City / Town: Richmond, VA
Re: A pal asked me if I had ever considered a Harley Davidson
Reply #10 on: March 13, 2021, 04:51:19 AM
Years ago I wished that I had one.  I was really into the 2001-ish Softail.  The closest thing that I could afford back then was a used 97' Yamaha Virago 1100 Special.  It had the looks that only a mother could love.  I keep finding posts and comments about how ugly the Versys is, I just don't get it.  I LOVE the styling of the 2015+.  I guess I'm a lover of ugly bikes, IDK.  That Virago sure was comfy and fun to ride though.   :7:

I fear the man who drinks water and so remembers this morning what the rest of us said last night ~Ben Franklin~

Offline TYKE

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: CB 500 X
  • City / Town: Cumbria * U.K
Reply #11 on: March 13, 2021, 11:42:14 AM
I think as I age (don't we all) that my needs in some ways actually overtake my tastes/likes/dislikes.

I admit I have looked at HDs mainly due to me now needing a lower seat height, and lighter weight, some Harleys are  definitely lower but also seem heavier

Earlier HDs  didn't handle, turn and stop that well, but I don't think that is true of the latest batch of bikes some of which, according to reviews that I have read, are very capable

Some models are costly though others not so  :notsure: 

The range now features electric bikes (if that flicks your switch [pun intended]) and also an adventure bike (see link) Things appear to be moving forwards at HD  :169: 

https://www.bennetts.co.uk/bikesocial/news-and-views/news/2019/november/harley-davidson-bronx-pan-american-2020-new-spec
The world is full of good people, if you can't find one - be one

Make every second count, make every moment special.

Rog

Offline Old-Hippy

• Versys Member
  • Bike: Versys 1K, VFR750
  • City / Town: Bedford, UK
Reply #12 on: March 13, 2021, 12:25:32 PM
We rode Route 66 on an Electraglide on the basis that if we were going to do a cliche we should do it properly. In that environment it was great and I thoroughly enjoyed it but I was glad to get back to my bikes when we got home

Cheers,

John

Offline flatfour

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 2015 Versys GT
Reply #13 on: March 13, 2021, 03:09:50 PM
My brother had a long - held ambition to own a Harley and a few years ago bought a Sportster.

He kept it for six weeks!

Offline stlee29

• Versys God
  • Good rides.....
  • Bike: V1K Mk3 2019
  • City / Town: Penang
Reply #14 on: March 14, 2021, 02:40:40 AM
When a lad, saw a bunch in a Harley convoy parked. After the left, saw small puddles of engine oil left below. My opinion of a Harley was in-print then.

This is a bloody great Bike....!

My V1K Blog: https://www.versys1000.com/index.php/topic,12733.0.html

Offline 9094

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: Versys 1000 LT
  • City / Town: Kansas City
Reply #15 on: March 14, 2021, 05:58:56 AM
*Originally Posted by flatfour [+]
My brother had a long - held ambition to own a Harley and a few years ago bought a Sportster.

He kept it for six weeks!

My older brother didn't have his for more than 1 season if memory serves. I do remember I had picked up a Honda 750 Shadow Ace around that same time as a 3rd bike, Went by his place and we of course traded bikes for a ride. Got back and all he could do is ramble about how smooth the Honda was,,, He traded for a Harley Dyna 2 weeks later. (it WAS an improvement, but not enough in my opinion. _

Online Le ptit Quebec

• Versys Master
  • Bike: Versys 1000
  • City / Town: Paris
Reply #16 on: March 14, 2021, 06:53:22 AM
Rode a soft tale during a ride with a friend. We both agreed that the Jap was less chromy but much more comfy and easy to ride.

Have the chance to own different of bike that I can get out the garage depending on the need, the mood, the ride.... ans I honnestly enjoy them all in what they were meant to used  :169:

Offline TYKE

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: CB 500 X
  • City / Town: Cumbria * U.K
Reply #17 on: March 14, 2021, 09:10:12 AM
Nice bikes especially GT125   :028: 
The world is full of good people, if you can't find one - be one

Make every second count, make every moment special.

Rog

Offline Maverick

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 2016 V1K
  • City / Town: Coffs Harbour
Reply #18 on: March 14, 2021, 10:29:31 AM
Test ridden at least a dozen, none of them were worth a pinch of sh#t. In my opinion.

Offline francis83

• Versys God
  • Bike: V1K MK1 2012
  • City / Town: Trans en provenc
Reply #19 on: March 14, 2021, 11:07:01 AM
As many of you I made test of HD. A venerable Heritage softail with carbs, a King road with EFI and a 1200 sporster. Of course I don't like them. The only "sympathic" one was the Heritage but only for the noise and the engine answer.
Those "tractors" are not made for our roads, especially for the comfort.
And as for the BMW's bike, I don't like the "spirit" that come around those bikes. As I said one time, they are now the way to show the size of your purce!! Definitively no HD or BMW (except the R60 to R100 models or the R1150 and used of course). Maybe I will test the HD Adventure to not be stupid.

My Mk1 Versys is certainly the better bike I ever had and I will not change it during a long time!
The main point is invisible for the eyes

waggish