Author Topic: My Shifting Technique is Terrible!!  (Read 6392 times)

Online Deso_70

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 2017 Versys 1000 GT
  • City / Town: Grimsby
Re: My Shifting Technique is Terrible!!
Reply #20 on: April 05, 2021, 03:53:16 PM
I'm pleased the forum members could help and your issue is fixed. As for the BIG smile that will be permanentely attached to your face every time you ride, well, there nothing the forum can do about that................nor would we want to.  :celebrate:

Amazing view!!
What if the whole world farted at once?

Online TallyRex

• Versys God
  • Bike: V1K, 900RS, ZRX1200
  • City / Town: Tallahassee
Reply #21 on: April 06, 2021, 12:03:01 PM
So glad you've resolved the issue   :37:

Offline TYKE

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: 😛
  • City / Town: Cumbria * U.K
Reply #22 on: April 06, 2021, 01:27:44 PM
*Originally Posted by TallyRex [+]
So glad you've resolved the issue   :37:

:89:   
The world is full of good people, if you can't find one - be one

Make every second count, make every moment special.

Rog

Offline andersoncm2

• Versys Newbie
  • Motorcycle Nut
  • Bike: 2019 Versys1000selt+
  • City / Town: Keysville
Reply #23 on: April 06, 2021, 07:51:30 PM
*Originally Posted by Pir8life [+]
Yeah, we should definitely meet up for a ride, I'm sure that I could learn a lot from you!   :7:

I rode up to Skyline Drive yesterday in Shenandoah National Park.  286 miles in total to break in my new tires and finally get some experience on the bike.  I can say with confidence that my shifting problems are over!  Preloading the shifter with minimal clutch was such a breeze and by the end of the day, I barely had to even think about it.  Downshifting is a breeze by just matching my speed and easing the clutch, no blip necessary. 

Compared to my KLR, this bike is very easy to push beyond your limits.  I had to put myself in check a few times.  I've always had a hard rule of only 5mph over the posted speed limit unless necessary to get out of a bad situation.  There was a long stretch of road and this driver was kind of all over the place and driving well under the speed limit.  He may have been drunk, I don't know.  No one seemed to want to try to get around him but I knew that I had the best chance, being smaller than a car.  When that chance came up, I quickly moved around the line of cars, looked down and realized that I was doing 90mph.  It was just sooo easy.  Top end on my KLR, without feeling like I was killing it, was 65-70mph.  I found myself taking curves and twisties a little more aggressively than I normally would as well.  Last night I was watching the first Spiderman movie and something that Uncle Ben said really stuck with me.  "With great power comes great responsibility".  So true!  I will take that with me on my next ride. 

I can't thank you guys enough for all of the info and tips on shifting, all better!   :763:

Nice looking ride!!!  Glad to hear you had fun on the Skyline Drive; however, you need to hit up the Blue Ridge Parkway.  Speed limit on the Parkway is 45 (but you can run around 55 without too many worries), and to ride the BRP is FREE!!!!  Would love to hook up for a ride with you sometime!! :152:

Offline Pir8life

• Versys Member
  • With great power comes great responsibility
  • Bike: 2015 V1K
  • City / Town: Richmond, VA
Reply #24 on: April 07, 2021, 12:25:43 AM
The BRP is high on my to-ride list.  I'll probably get an Air B&B and make a weekend of it.  I have an uncle that lives in Bryson City NC, which is right there in the Smokies and a stones throw away from Deals Gap.  I'm not a fanatic about DG, I think it's more of an idiot magnet than an epic twisties ride but...I want to check that off of my list too. 

This weekend for me is a wedding and looks like rain but, I will send you a message with my contact info so that we can get together soon! 

Fun fact!  I'm retired Coast Guard and 100% disabled with the VA due to my hearing issues and Meniere's disease.  One of the perks of being rated at 100% with the VA, is that I get into all of the national parks for free.  I could ride Skyline Drive every weekend, and it wouldn't cost me a thing.  The VA and many other organizations take really good care of me!  I'm not that old, 54 on the 27th of this month.  My wife says I'm a 25 year old trapped in a 53 year old body.  Physically, I'm in good shape.  It's my ears that don't work.  I've been learning ASL but it's a slow process.  It's hard to have a conversation with words like mom, dad, grapes, apple, bacon etc.  I can sign a good deal of words, but putting them in a sentence is a whole other thing.  My hearing is something that we'll have to work through when we meet up, I'm use to it.  I should change my profile name to Deaf Rider.  We'll get together soon before it gets crazy hot.      :biker3:   
I fear the man who drinks water and so remembers this morning what the rest of us said last night ~Ben Franklin~

Online TallyRex

• Versys God
  • Bike: V1K, 900RS, ZRX1200
  • City / Town: Tallahassee
Reply #25 on: April 07, 2021, 10:04:05 AM
Thank you for your service and glad to hear you are happy with the VA.   :152:

waggish