TYKE TYKE
2 Posts
jmason jmason
1 Posts
peejay69 peejay69
1 Posts
TallyRex
1 Posts

Author Topic: 190 55 Rear Size  (Read 399 times)

Offline peejay69

• Versys Pro
  • There is no such thing as government funded.
  • Bike: 2019 V1k (Vicky)
  • City / Town: Rushden
190 55 Rear Size
on: April 03, 2021, 09:56:05 AM
Has anyone out there ever tried it wider in the rear?

Iím going for Metzler RoadTech and considering a wider rear.

I prefer the look (self confessed tart) plus I donít care about the slightly less turn in aggressiveness.

I think a 190 55 TL HWM (fat bloke on heavy bike plus luggage) would suit me and the way I ride and distances Iím considering.

Would appreciate any feedback you guys can give on your experiences.......
Holy war is fully grown adults killing each other to prove they have a better imaginary friend.

Online TowerMan

• Versys God
  • Bike: Mk1 V650 & Mk2 V1k
  • City / Town: Biggar.
Re: 190 55 Rear Size
Reply #1 on: April 03, 2021, 10:25:52 AM
When choosing your tyre there are two dimensions to consider:

Width and overall diameter

If you consider a penny farthing bicycle, the large front wheel needs to turn far less than the tiny black wheel, which shows how important overall diameter is as it affects gearing, braking and handling amongst other things.

Fitting a 190 section tyre to a rear wheel designed for a 180 will not necessarily make it wider, but it will almost certainly make it taller as the rim is too narrow and pinches in the sidewalls. This is something that should be avoided at all costs, as a taller and pointier tyre actually has a smaller contact patch and it slows the steering.

I tried it years ago on a Yamaha R250LC, it looked great when it was parked up, but when ridden it benefitted from no additional grip and suffered from a lot of instability.
It is also worth remembering that the wider the tyre, the more lean you need to get through a corner.
As you lean the bike over, the contact patch moves away from the centre like of the bike towards the shoulder of the tyre.
The further the contact patch from the centre, the wider the arc the bike wants to run, and the slower it steers too.

With regards to GT/HWM tyres
The V1k is border line on requiring these tyres.
However if you are a 'lardy bloke' and you do ride with luggage or a pillion all the time, then a HWM / GT tyre on the back may well help with regards to stability at high cruising speeds.
The Conti RA3 gets good reviews and there is a GT/HWM tyre in the STD V1k size for the rear. see the German Motorrad Mag 2021 ST tyre review HERE  :028:

I'm just about to change to the CRA3 in ~1000 miles with a STD tyre at the front and a GT/HWM at the back, as I am also a 'Lardy bloke' who rides with luggage all the time  :008:
Richard    :001:

On the www.versys.co.uk forum

Offline chucksklrst

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 2019 Versys 1K LT,SE
  • City / Town: Aurora, Colorado.
Reply #2 on: April 04, 2021, 03:47:22 PM
I have been running a 190/55 for  couple years now. I also run a 190/55 on my FJR as it has the same tire size as the Versys. No issues on either bike over the years and it also puts the speedo dead on. I don't feel any diff in the handling of either bike.  Your bike, your money, your tires, do what you want, just have fun and keep smiling.
Chuck Henderson, Aurora, Colorado
RIDE a little FASTER, RIDE a little FURTHER
https://www.facebook.com/chuck.henderson.980
14 FJR1300A (Ruby FeeJeR) 17 VX300 (Little Gray Bike)
19 Versys 1000LTSE (Flying Nun)13 V-STrom 650 (WeeIII)

Offline peejay69

• Versys Pro
  • There is no such thing as government funded.
  • Bike: 2019 V1k (Vicky)
  • City / Town: Rushden
Reply #3 on: April 04, 2021, 04:43:38 PM
Good to hear itís been done with no negative impact. Fat down low, fat ass in the saddle.
Holy war is fully grown adults killing each other to prove they have a better imaginary friend.

Offline Crosshairs

• Versys God
Reply #4 on: April 04, 2021, 08:32:46 PM
*Originally Posted by peejay69 [+]
Has anyone out there ever tried it wider in the rear?

Iím going for Metzler RoadTech and considering a wider rear.

I prefer the look (self confessed tart) plus I donít care about the slightly less turn in aggressiveness.

I think a 190 55 TL HWM (fat bloke on heavy bike plus luggage) would suit me and the way I ride and distances Iím considering.

Would appreciate any feedback you guys can give on your experiences.......

It will be fine and you will not notice any difference..in regards to wear, I do not think it would  wear any better  but you do get about a 30 Lb load carrying  increase so if your close to the limit then it may actually help in the wear department .

The down side is that they are usually 20-25 bucks more than the 180....

Offline chucksklrst

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 2019 Versys 1K LT,SE
  • City / Town: Aurora, Colorado.
Reply #5 on: April 04, 2021, 10:48:33 PM
*Originally Posted by chucksklrst [+]
I have been running a 190/55 for  couple years now. I also run a 190/55 on my FJR as it has the same tire size as the Versys. No issues on either bike over the years and it also puts the speedo dead on. I don't feel any diff in the handling of either bike.  Your bike, your money, your tires, do what you want, just have fun and keep smiling.

I might add that I was running RoadSmart 3s and just put a set of Dunlap RoadSmart 4s on the bike.
Chuck Henderson, Aurora, Colorado
RIDE a little FASTER, RIDE a little FURTHER
https://www.facebook.com/chuck.henderson.980
14 FJR1300A (Ruby FeeJeR) 17 VX300 (Little Gray Bike)
19 Versys 1000LTSE (Flying Nun)13 V-STrom 650 (WeeIII)