Author Topic: Checking Valve Clearance after 16000km  (Read 6849 times)

Offline kris

• Versys Master
  • Bike: Versys 1000
Re: Checking Valve Clearance after 16000km
Reply #10 on: April 10, 2021, 12:18:28 PM
*Originally Posted by dketchum [+]
I just did my first check, 2016 with 22k miles.  All were in spec, have 4 that are close to the min. 3 exhaust, 1 intake.
going to get a new set of feeler gauges and check again just to be sure. Will probably correct those 4 to more in the middle.

Why not to make it close to maximum clearance?  those valves never get too loose, only too tight.

Offline dketchum

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 16 Versys 1000
  • City / Town: San Antonio
Reply #11 on: April 10, 2021, 01:44:27 PM
*Originally Posted by kris [+]
Why not to make it close to maximum clearance?  those valves never get too loose, only too tight.

Never say never…I understand about why they tend to tighten up due to the valve seats “settling” into the head over time from the pounding.  After 50 plus years of wrenching on cars,motorcycle, and aircraft etc.. its a preference of mine to work in the middle of a tolerance. It’s that simple.

Offline kris

• Versys Master
Reply #12 on: April 10, 2021, 02:26:43 PM
Never say never…I understand about why they tend to tighten up due to the valve seats “settling” into the head over time from the pounding.  After 50 plus years of wrenching on cars,motorcycle, and aircraft etc.. its a preference of mine to work in the middle of a tolerance. It’s that simple.

how to recognise if the valve clearance is too big?  the engine will make clattering noise? mine seems to be very quiet even while having the clearance on the wider side.

Offline dketchum

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 16 Versys 1000
  • City / Town: San Antonio
Reply #13 on: April 10, 2021, 03:43:45 PM
The high end of the spec is still in spec…shouldn’t be a problem. 

Offline jmason

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 2018 V1000
  • City / Town: LITTLETON, CO
Reply #14 on: April 10, 2021, 05:09:32 PM
Just got mine back from the independent shop for the 15K mile service.  All valves were in the middle of the tolerance range, throttle synchro was just about spot on.  I'm good to go for a lot more miles :-)

Offline Topbox

• Versys Pro
Reply #15 on: April 11, 2021, 03:28:30 PM
I recall one article i read saying that clearances are best adjusted to the upper limit of tolerance as the gradual opening ramp on the cams provides for better gas flow, even on racing engines.

Also, a friend of mine who builds racing engines told  me that engine / valve damage is unlikely unless the valve clearance has closed up completely (although not recommended)

Two philosophies I'm happy to follow.

TB
Life, its not a rehersal.

Offline chucksklrst

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 2019 Versys 1K LT,SE
  • City / Town: Aurora, Colorado.
Reply #16 on: April 11, 2021, 05:43:06 PM
*Originally Posted by jmason [+]
Just got mine back from the independent shop for the 15K mile service.  All valves were in the middle of the tolerance range, throttle synchro was just about spot on.  I'm good to go for a lot more miles :-)

Where did you take it? and what was the cost?
Chuck Henderson, Aurora, Colorado
RIDE a little FASTER, RIDE a little FURTHER
https://www.facebook.com/chuck.henderson.980
14 FJR1300A (Ruby FeeJeR) 17 VX300 (Little Gray Bike)
19 Versys 1000LTSE (Flying Nun)13 V-STrom 650 (WeeIII)

Offline kris

• Versys Master
Reply #17 on: April 12, 2021, 01:27:02 AM

I read somewhere this: Intakes tend to either stay the same or loosen slightly, exhaust get tighter. After a few adjustments they don't change much if the oil is doing its job and cam lobe wear is minimal. Looseness of the intakes is usually due to cam lobe wear and tightness of the exhaust is due to seat recession. 

does it feel right?

Offline kris

• Versys Master
Reply #18 on: April 16, 2021, 03:56:58 AM
I received some feedbacks from the Versys 650 forum, and based on the data sheets of several members, both exhaust and intake valves get tighter in time.  After a couple of adjustments, the clearance remains more or less the same.

Offline TallyRex

• Versys God
  • Bike: V1K, 900RS, ZRX1200
  • City / Town: Tallahassee
Reply #19 on: April 16, 2021, 09:21:18 AM
That's a different engine, so not sure if it means much.