Author Topic: front suspension concerns on new Versys 1000s  (Read 769 times)

Offline motif

• Versys Newbie
  • Bike: xt660z
  • City / Town: Krakow
front suspension concerns on new Versys 1000s
on: April 16, 2021, 09:19:18 AM
Hi,
getting my Versys 1000s 2021 soon but I noticed it has only suspension adjustment in one, right leg.
Why is that and if Versys suspension is good enough for 100+kg rider?
thanks

Offline 2tallrider

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 2019 Versys 1000 SE
  • City / Town: Grande Prairie
Re: front suspension concerns on new Versys 1000s
Reply #1 on: April 16, 2021, 03:27:32 PM
Which model are you getting

Offline peejay69

• Versys Pro
  • There is no such thing as government funded.
  • Bike: 2019 V1k (Vicky)
  • City / Town: Rushden
Reply #2 on: April 16, 2021, 08:35:09 PM
They do it for cheapness. I currently donít find the suspension an issue and I am close to a metric tonne in weight.

I am considering the Maxton upgrade with new fork tops but I donít think I am ever riding hard enough to justify the cost.

Apparently once you go Maxton, you never go back though.
Holy war is fully grown adults killing each other to prove they have a better imaginary friend.

Offline motif

• Versys Newbie
Reply #3 on: April 17, 2021, 12:16:17 AM
*Originally Posted by peejay69 [+]
They do it for cheapness. I currently donít find the suspension an issue and I am close to a metric tonne in weight.

I am considering the Maxton upgrade with new fork tops but I donít think I am ever riding hard enough to justify the cost.

Apparently once you go Maxton, you never go back though.

thanks

Offline motif

• Versys Newbie
Reply #4 on: April 17, 2021, 01:22:58 PM
BTW I see same setup on much more expensive BMW S1000 XR  but there is on the left leg electronically adjustable fork so maybe it's not that bad after all.

Offline peejay69

• Versys Pro
  • There is no such thing as government funded.
  • Bike: 2019 V1k (Vicky)
  • City / Town: Rushden
Reply #5 on: April 17, 2021, 05:24:38 PM
One thing thatís made my life unbearable and got me thinking about transitioning to a new gender, is  that since I whacked up the pre-load to max minus a couple of turns, when I have the front end in the paddock stand and get the axle out, the bike drops unevenly.

Basically the left fork compresses about 4mm further under the weight of the bike versus the right fork. I then find it a pig and a half to get the axle back in.

Adjusting the pre-load all the way out prior to me pointlessly tinkering is the only way round it and risks making the fork top look a bit worn and tired.

Of course I could just stop fannying about but Iím old and have spanners sat idle.
Holy war is fully grown adults killing each other to prove they have a better imaginary friend.

Offline motif

• Versys Newbie
Reply #6 on: April 17, 2021, 07:35:42 PM
*Originally Posted by peejay69 [+]
One thing thatís made my life unbearable and got me thinking about transitioning to a new gender, is  that since I whacked up the pre-load to max minus a couple of turns, when I have the front end in the paddock stand and get the axle out, the bike drops unevenly.

Basically the left fork compresses about 4mm further under the weight of the bike versus the right fork. I then find it a pig and a half to get the axle back in.

that is true to many bikes, I had this even on bikes without any fork adjustments, not a problem at all for me.

waggish