Author Topic: Lust Racing lowering kit  (Read 625 times)

Offline tiler151

• Versys Newbie
  • Bike: Kawasaki Versys 1000
  • City / Town: Colchester
Lust Racing lowering kit
on: April 16, 2021, 03:04:23 PM
This topic may have been covered before but i have recently bought a Versys GT1000 and am thinking about buying a lowering kit, just to make it a bit easier as i am not the tallest rider out there. Has anyone fitted a Lust Racing kit either 25mm or 40mm, not sure what one to go for? The other issue is the side stand, would it need shortening or are the shims they supply adequate? Any info would be great, thanks in advance.

Offline Scarecrow

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: Versys 1000 2015
  • City / Town: Prudhoe NE England
Re: Lust Racing lowering kit
Reply #1 on: April 16, 2021, 07:28:11 PM
I have a 15 plate with 40mm lowering kit fitted.
I've had no issues with the shims supplied.
Hope this helps :028:

Offline tiler151

• Versys Newbie
Reply #2 on: April 16, 2021, 07:39:13 PM
Thanks for your info.

Offline Floydsz1

• Versys God
  • Bike: 1000 SE GT 2019
  • City / Town: Sunny Morecambe
Reply #3 on: April 16, 2021, 07:53:45 PM
I have the lust lowering plates on my 2019 and also got the shim kit. When I get on the bike I stand on the left footrest.  I found that when the bike was loaded with luggage and I was standing on the peg to get on , the 2  bolts started to bend while on a 3,500 mile trip round Europe  so when I got home I took the shim kit off.

Offline tiler151

• Versys Newbie
Reply #4 on: April 16, 2021, 08:29:52 PM
Thanks for the info. Could you not put stronger bolts in? I also stand on the footpeg to get on so it needs to be strong enough. How was the angle of the stand when the shims were removed?
I'm just a bit concerned that if i lower it the side stand will end up being too long or at the wrong angle.
How much did you lower yours?

Offline Idlebiker

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: Honda CBF+Versys1000
  • City / Town: South Bucks
Reply #5 on: April 17, 2021, 08:29:32 AM
Tiler, my 2019 Mk3 came with the 30mm lowered linkage plus the shim kit (a glorified name for a thick spacer) and I have no issues with it. The spacer just places the side stand further out from the bike such that it gets back some of the stand lean angle that is reduced by the bike being lower. Without the spacer, the bike would be more upright and make parking stability a bit more problematic. With my 30mm kit, I find it no problem on flat ground (eg my garage), putting the bike onto its centre stand, but I do wonder how easy it would be with the 40mm kit. Perhaps Scarecrow could advise you on that. Iíve not had Floydsz issue with bent bolts, but it seems fair to say that fully loaded there is a lot of weight on the stand, so I just take it easy when dismounting, and try to keep as much weight off it as I can. Itís a precaution to keep me happier, rather than a response to an actual problem. One final point, (hurrah you shout!), the 30mm kit drops the bike down such that the standard silencer can blocks taking off the rear axle when changing tyres. No big deal, but a point of interest. Happy biking yíall.

Offline tiler151

• Versys Newbie
Reply #6 on: April 17, 2021, 09:17:12 AM
Many thanks for all the info.

Offline 9094

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: Versys 1000 LT
  • City / Town: Kansas City
Reply #7 on: April 18, 2021, 05:28:28 PM
I installed what was supposed to be a 25mm Lust kit, I didn't actually measure, but it feels much lower than 1". I had the adjustable link on and had re-adjusted it several times, to where I thought I had a 1" drop, so ordered the 25mm. It's definitely lower than stock and where I had the link set. I'm 5' 11" with 32" inseam and am flat-footed with slight bend in knees now. The Corbin seat got added in recently too though. And my toes drag in some tight corners if i forget to point them up, probably the combo of peg lowering kit and lowered bike. (Or just my big feet)

Got to wondering about the link after the report of one breaking, so ordered the Lust kit. Hindsight, it appears the broken one was an older model or different brand as the rod ends are definitely less robust than my link. Still,,, thinking of ordering race car quality rod ends from Summit Racing and re-installing the link.

Offline TallyRex

• Versys God
  • Bike: V1K, 900RS, ZRX1200
  • City / Town: Tallahassee
Reply #8 on: April 19, 2021, 10:51:21 AM
*Originally Posted by 9094 [+]
And my toes drag in some tight corners if i forget to point them up, probably the combo of peg lowering kit and lowered bike. (Or just my big feet)

Try putting your toes on the footpegs

Offline tiler151

• Versys Newbie
Reply #9 on: May 03, 2021, 11:02:06 PM
Fitted my Lust Racing lowering kit today. Went for the 40mm kit with the side stand shims and lowered the front by 15mm. The bike feels better out on the road and i find it much easier to have a good footing when i am at junctions etc. The fitting instructions were good but i did find a couple of ways to make it easier still. Thanks to everyone that gave advice.

waggish