Author Topic: Seating position and comfort  (Read 1667 times)

Offline Nuke

• Versys Newbie
  • Bike: 2018 Suzuki GSXS1000
  • City / Town: Greenville
Seating position and comfort
on: April 29, 2021, 02:02:15 PM
I currently have a 2018 Suzuki GSX-S1000F.  It's overall a fantastic bike, with PLENTY of power.  My complaint is, the riding position is just a little to far forward.  I have a bad back, and if I'm hunched over slightly for a while, it just burns and hurts.  Just for reference, I'm 6'-0".  I've already added a handlebar riser, which helped some, but I think I just want something a little more comfortable, and not a cruiser.  So, I've been doing a LOT of research, and think I've landed on the 2020 Versys LT SE.  From the pics and videos, it appears the seating position is lower, and looks like I won't be hunched over forward.  On my suzuki, the handlebars are slightly lower than I want them to be, and forces that slightly forward lean.  I've thought about getting new handlebars, but I think I really like all the technology on the Versys.  I want something that I can cruise comfortably on for more than an hour at a time without having to stretch my back.  Anybody here have a bad back or can comment as to the comfort of the Versys?

Offline andersoncm2

• Versys Member
  • Motorcycle Nut
  • Bike: 2019 Versys1000selt+
  • City / Town: Keysville
Re: Seating position and comfort
Reply #1 on: April 29, 2021, 02:35:05 PM
The seating position on the Versys 1000 (at least my 2019) is almost bolt upright.  The seat is wide and comfortable, allowing you to move around in the saddle to relieve any "hot spots" while riding. The bars are also really wide and plenty tall; however, bar risers are available from a few companies out there.  The Versys seating position is very relaxed, placing your feet almost directly beneath you (good for the knees).  After riding the Versys, my ZRX (a naked standard) feels like a full on sport bike.

Offline sweatmachine

• Versys Master
  • Bike: 2017 Versys 1000 LT
  • City / Town: Austin, Texas
Reply #2 on: April 29, 2021, 07:12:14 PM
I find my Versys to be more comfortable, relaxed, and upright than my previous bike, an FJR 1300, especially with regards to my knee position.  I have lots more leg room and find the bike to be extremely comfortable.   

Offline BigBiker

• Versys Member
  • Bike: Versys 1000 GT
  • City / Town: Banbury
Reply #3 on: April 29, 2021, 10:25:13 PM
I had a Suzuki GSX1250FA. I loved the engine, but found the seating position too bent for my 6’3” frame. So I traded it in for my 2018 Versys 1000GT. 3 years later and I still love it. All the power I need, handles fully loaded touring with ease and is fun in the twisties. But most of all, it’s all-day comfortable. The seating position is upright with no noticeable weight on wrists, and the knee position is also comfortable. I love this bike.
So many roads to ride, so little time...

Offline sweatmachine

• Versys Master
  • City / Town: Austin, Texas
Reply #4 on: April 29, 2021, 10:57:45 PM
*Originally Posted by BigBiker [+]
I love this bike.

My thoughts exactly!

:031:

Offline Grouchy

• Versys Member
  • City / Town: Castle Pines
Reply #5 on: April 30, 2021, 12:00:40 AM
I can't speak about the Gen 3s, I have a 2017 and I needed to have the seat modified and put rox risers on the bars.  It's ok for 1-1/2 to two hours, then I have to get off and stretch a bit.  I literally just walked in the house from a 2-1/2 hour ride without a break and I'm feeling it.
I've had two back surgeries and have a pinched nerve in the neck, so I'm quite sensitive to the riding position.
Short of a Goldwing and even the wing needs seatwork), I don't think you would find anything better than the Versys.
Never engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man.

Offline Iceman63

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 02' FZ1 and 18' V1
  • City / Town: Mechanicsville
Reply #6 on: April 30, 2021, 03:19:29 PM
Coming from...and still riding an 02' FZ1; which, used to feel roomy and relaxed before I got my 18' V1, I find the Versys comfy. Now I did change the seat to a Sargent as the OEM was pushing me forward. I have one on the FZ1 as well.
 The only problem I have with the ergos of the V1 is the wrist angle of the handlebars. I wish the bend at the grips was slightly more down and back.

Offline weljo2001

• Versys God
  • Bike: 2016 Versys 1000LT
  • City / Town: Norwalk,CA
Reply #7 on: May 01, 2021, 06:36:45 PM
I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...Mike Tyson

“The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.” – Albert Einstein

Offline GoneFishing

• Versys Member
  • Bike: '17 Versys 1000
  • City / Town: Southern Okla
Reply #8 on: May 08, 2021, 03:25:37 PM
I have a Gsx-s1000F as well and can say that the riding position on my '16 V1k is much better for longer rides.  The only issues I have is with the seat.  My backside starts getting those hot spots after 1.5 hrs. 

Sent my seat off to be redone, but the guy got sick and went out of business during the process, so I'm back to square one.

Offline markymark11

• Versys Master
  • Bike: 2017
  • City / Town: Basingstoke
Reply #9 on: May 09, 2021, 12:33:40 PM
My 2017 is perfect for me and I have a bad back and wrists. (previous bikes include things like GSF1250 bandit, Fazer 1000, Tiger 800, S1000XR Vstrom 650 and 1000 and dozens of others ...75 in total  :008:)

The only issues I had on the Versys was when I tried bar risers which took too much weight off the front wheel and made it feel "flighty" at speed. I tried them because I wanted a better angle on the levers for my wrists and found that the standard bars would only adjust so far before they hit the tank at full lock with the handguards. It is not bad enough to swap the bars out though. I just remove the handguards for summer and adjust accordingly.

I have a Sargent seat conversion with air channels in it and slightly flatter than OEM, and it is all day comfy for me, but... we are all different aren't we   :002: