Author Topic: 10 Hours in the Saddle Today  (Read 430 times)

Offline Pir8life

• Versys Pro
  • With great power comes great responsibility
  • Bike: 2015 V1K
  • City / Town: Richmond, VA
10 Hours in the Saddle Today
on: May 02, 2021, 03:38:36 AM
I set out this morning at 10:00am and got back about ten minutes before sunset (8:00pm).  It was a beautiful day to ride, about 68 deg or so and a little breezy.  I hadn't been to the Beach in several years, so I decided why not? It's about two hours from my front door.  I took route 10 through Smithfield, Suffolk and Chesapeake then I-64 to VA Beach.  It's just as commercial as I had remembered it, maybe even more so now.  When I got there, I didn't feel like paying to park, walking around in my riding gear and carrying all of my stuff.  I should have planned better and took a change of clothes, or had something more "public friendly" on underneath.  Getting pictures of the bike anywhere near the beach was impossible.  I managed to quickly stop where I wasn't supposed to, to take a couple of photos.

On my trip back home I stopped in Yorktown and rode along the waterfront.  Lots of people in the park and on the beach along the York River.  Back in 2005, I use to train students on how to drive boats on this river while stationed at Coast Guard Training Center Yorktown, VA.  Seamanship, navigation, man overboard, boat handling, search patterns etc.  I recalled working with an instructor named Bernie from Great Britain's RNLI (Royal National Lifeboat Institution).  Bernie was such a great person and we all got to know him and his family quite well.  He was a wealth of information to our training program and we had a lot of fun working side by side.  It was also fun to joke around with Bernie about training in Yorktown.  As you may or may not know, Yorktown was the site of the final battle of the American Revolution where on October 19, 1781, Lord Cornwallis surrendered his British Army to the combined American-French forces under Washington and Rochambeau.  Anyway, lots of great memories and laughs there for me.  I hope that Bernie is retired and enjoying life like me, I wish that I had stayed in touch when I was transferred to my next duty station.

I rode the Colonial Parkway to Jamestown, then route 5 to Richmond.  During the last 30 minutes I had been racing the sun to get back home before dark, all the while, I was barely able to see as I was heading West into the sun.  A great ride today, the bike performed flawlessly and the new GPS is fantastic, especially hardwired in.  I need to start taking my nice camera with me, enjoy the cell phone shots.     

I fear the man who drinks water and so remembers this morning what the rest of us said last night ~Ben Franklin~

Offline TallyRex

• Versys God
  • Bike: V1K, 900RS, ZRX1200
  • City / Town: Tallahassee
Re: 10 Hours in the Saddle Today
Reply #1 on: May 02, 2021, 10:36:48 AM
Good for you   :020:

At my age, I find it hard to stay awake for 10 hours  :180:

Online Keener

• Versys God
  • Bike: 2015 Versys 1000
Reply #2 on: May 02, 2021, 02:15:13 PM
Looks like a great ride ...well done
best color for a V1  btw

Offline andersoncm2

• Versys Member
  • Motorcycle Nut
  • Bike: 2019 Versys1000selt+
  • City / Town: Keysville
Reply #3 on: May 03, 2021, 12:47:40 AM
Sounds like you had a great trip.  Sorry I couldn't go yesterday. Nice pics!  :152:

Offline uralrob

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 2015 V1k, 2014 V650
  • City / Town: Bridgewater N.S.
Reply #4 on: May 03, 2021, 03:14:45 AM

Enjoyable read, thanks for posting.  :028:

Rob.

Offline Pir8life

• Versys Pro
  • With great power comes great responsibility
  • Bike: 2015 V1K
  • City / Town: Richmond, VA
Reply #5 on: May 03, 2021, 03:24:44 AM
*Originally Posted by Keener [+]
best color for a V1  btw

I agree, I get a lot of compliments on the color and a lot of stares, I'm sure it's not me.  It's nice to be seen out there as well!
I fear the man who drinks water and so remembers this morning what the rest of us said last night ~Ben Franklin~

Offline Vespista1960

• Versys Master
  • Bike: Versys 1000 SE 2019
  • City / Town: Milano
Reply #6 on: May 03, 2021, 07:41:14 AM
*Originally Posted by Keener [+]
best color for a V1  btw
Totally agreed.
It's a shame they don't do it anymore

Offline Le ptit Quebec

• Versys Master
  • Bike: Versys 1000
  • City / Town: Paris
Reply #7 on: May 04, 2021, 05:47:35 AM
NIce trip, nice color!

After riding with it this winter, I took the time to polish all the orange faring before putting it back together after the valves check. 71K km on the clock, still good looking and rides so well.  :020:

Tanks for sharing, if you happen to have a few picks from the Bay-Bridge tunnel ;)