Author Topic: Throttle vacuum synchronization  (Read 368 times)

Offline Risolandl

• Versys Newbie
  • Bike: Versys 1000 2012
  • City / Town: Praha
Throttle vacuum synchronization
on: May 02, 2021, 04:14:20 PM
Hello,
I just did the throttle synchronization because my injectors were clicking. After proper synchronization the cliking is gone but I couldnt sync the throttles higher then 18 cmHg (180 mmHg). According to the manual it should be around 30 and I saw that people on YT have it above 24 at least. The problem ist that cyl 3 cannot go higher then 18 and if I set the middle screw so the right side is higher, then cyl 2 wont go higher then 18 so I would say it is not possible to get it synced higher. The bike runs great and is vert smooth and I can feel the difference after syncing.

I also should point out that I have changed the engine head due to one cam shaft being little seized. Maybe previous owner ran on low oil pressure not sure. But I also did the valves so all are within specs.

The question is if this indicates any problem with the bike, or even if I should worry about it.
Thanks in advance for any advice or sensible response.  :169:
Last Edit: May 02, 2021, 04:36:50 PM by Risolandl

Offline 9094

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: Versys 1000 LT
  • City / Town: Kansas City
Re: Throttle vacuum synchronization
Reply #1 on: May 02, 2021, 07:51:53 PM
so, either 2 or 3 will have a low reading depending on adjusting which screw? The middle sync screw? That doesn't make a lot of sense. I'd assume you would do each side; 1+2 and 3+4 first to get them equal, then the middle screw to get the 2 pairs equal

Also, what about the Pilot air screws? Didn't know fuel injection even had these. assuming 2012 is the same as 2015, our parts sites start at 2015,,,  item  #16014 here:

https://www.ronayers.com/oemparts/a/kaw/54d91b7b87a8651e14b3d395/throttle

Never actually tried this on fuel injection, but on carbs I'd set each pilot screw for the best reading, then each pair's sync,  then the pairs against each other with the middle screw, guess I should read the shop manual. Let us know how it's going

Offline 9094

• Versys Pro
Reply #2 on: May 02, 2021, 07:56:27 PM
And I'd have a fan blowing on the motor in case it's getting too hot sitting and idling and the inside throttle bodies are having heat issues. best guesses.

Offline Risolandl

• Versys Newbie
Reply #3 on: May 02, 2021, 08:38:15 PM
Well I did it according to the manual. I have set the highest from two left to highest from two right by adjusting the middle screw. Then I adjusted the lower ones to the higher one by pilot screws. This is as it is in manual.
Now it was only at 18 with the cyl 3 pilot screw all the way in. I figured if I use the middle screw to get the right side a bit higher then left, I can then screw 1 and 2 in more to get it synced with the higher 3 and 4. But it didnt work I ended up at 18 again with the cyl 2 all the way in.

Hope this makes some sence and you can imagine what I tried to do :D

Offline 9094

• Versys Pro
Reply #4 on: May 03, 2021, 03:15:12 AM
Still sounds like there's something wrong with 3. Any idea if these pilots control air or fuel? Pilot all the way in may have an injector leaking by or a vacuum leak? valve too tight? depending.  other than that, I'm out of ideas.

Offline Risolandl

• Versys Newbie
Reply #5 on: May 03, 2021, 06:09:21 AM
I am not that sure about this, but it is a bypass screw so when all the way in nothing is going throught the alternative route and all the potential of the injector to create a vacuum is used. In manual it says that you should clean them if unable to get it higher but I did than, maybe I will try to clean the hole also and replce the seal. I did the valves so none is tight for sure.
But thanks fir the suggestions.

Offline 9094

• Versys Pro
Reply #6 on: May 04, 2021, 02:00:58 AM
Found this and a possible solution:

from: https://ricksfreeautorepairadvice.com/honda-throttle-body-cleaning-reset/

"How an electronic throttle body works
In carbureted engines, the idle screw kept the throttle
plate cracked open slightly to allow air into the engine. That airflow created vacuum in the carburetorís venture, which drew in gasoline to keep the engine running. When carmakers switched to fuel injection, the purpose of the throttle body change to operate more like an air valve, allowing more air into the intak manifold as you put the pedal to the metal. To provide air at idle, carmakers installed an idle air bypass valve that allowed air to flow around the closed throttle plate. The fuel injectors provided the fuel and the bypass valve regulated airflow."

I suspect there's a carbon build-up on the throttle butterfly for #3, keeping it from seating fully. causing you to have to crank the bypass all the way in. I do remember having to clean the back side of the butterfly and the intake passages regularly on my fuel-injected Vulcan Nomad. And I'd bet it was a lot easier than the V1k is going to be,,, The Nomad would look good from the intake side, while the engine side was always black with carbon. The valve overlap lets the intake start opening while the piston is still coming up on the exhaust stroke, and exhaust gets pushed up against the butterflies.

Offline 9094

• Versys Pro
Reply #7 on: May 04, 2021, 03:28:52 AM
Or maybe just some of the foaming spray intake/combustion chamber cleaner?

waggish