Author Topic: Spongy front brake issue? 2020 Versys 1000 SE LT+  (Read 1552 times)

Offline tmasalin

• Versys Member
  • Bike: 2020 Versys 1000 SE
  • City / Town: San Diego
Re: Spongy front brake issue? 2020 Versys 1000 SE LT+
Reply #20 on: July 16, 2021, 09:32:43 PM
Replaced master cylinder under warranty, problem sorted.  Still the strangest thing, but having now done  3k+ and 1300+ mile tours back to back (including about 50 miles or so dirt), bike performed perfectly.  Original chain looks to be done at about 18k miles, but I am also poor on chain maintenance.  Loving this bike!

Offline RaYzerman

• Versys Member
  • Bike: 2016 V1000 LT
  • City / Town: Millgrove, ON
Re: Spongy front brake issue? 2020 Versys 1000 SE LT+
Reply #21 on: July 17, 2021, 01:35:15 AM
I have been experimenting on this new-to-me machine and have managed to improve things to something OK for now, had to crank the front preload in all the way in (definitely needs real springs, I'll go straight rate not progressive), and have the rebound adjusted to 2 clicks out... still dives a bit more than I'd like, but certainly improves the front brake feel.
I can see EBC's and stainless lines in my future too.
I have the rear preload about 2/3's the way from hardest, and rebound less than 1 turn out..... someday this needs help too.
For now I'm just going to put some miles on it and see what my aftermarket options are.  Wondering if I can take a stock shock and have it re-sprung and re-valved.... have to talk to my suspension guy.
Since these aren't linked brakes, one should use a bit of rear..... the old 70/30 rule.  I didn't like the rear brake lever position so I raised it a good 1/8" and that's better.  Still kind of a lame rear brake IMHO, but again, I should just ride it more.
2016 V1000 LT,  '09 CBF1000 A9, '99 VFR 800 Fi

Experience is a great teacher, she gives you the tests first and the lessons later.