Author Topic: Fork Oil Change  (Read 886 times)

Offline sweatmachine

• Versys Master
  • Bike: 2017 Versys 1000 LT
  • City / Town: Austin, Texas
Re: Fork Oil Change
Reply #10 on: July 16, 2021, 02:10:12 PM
*Originally Posted by Topbox [+]
Do you have an example of two oils showing the same wt on the bottle but where one is actually 15wt and the other 2.5 weight

TB

See attached

Offline Topbox

• Versys Pro
Reply #11 on: July 16, 2021, 02:29:14 PM
*Originally Posted by Versys-V1K [+]
No, but I used this Maxima "Zero Drag" 10W, and I like it. Of course, you could always go with the OEM that's about $5 USD/L more.

I am aware that the fork oil measure of centistokes can vary for the same nominal weight of oil given by manufacturers. I just thought your spread of 15W to 2.5W was just too alarmist and complicated the issue too much. Thats why I asked for examples just in case there was one, there isn't.

I'm glad 10W oil in youir forks is to your liking.

KHL 10-15 is the equivelent of 5W oil and anything any thicker risks making the bike unridable. While one manufactureres 5W may differ to another manufacturers 5W, at this end of the scale the differences would be impossible to detect and in any event not knowing the original centistokes measure makes it even more complicated. Just buying 5W from a quality supplier of oils will be enough.

IMHO

Cheers
TB
Life, its not a rehersal.

Offline sweatmachine

• Versys Master
  • Bike: 2017 Versys 1000 LT
  • City / Town: Austin, Texas
Reply #12 on: July 16, 2021, 02:44:58 PM
I am aware that the fork oil measure of centistokes can vary for the same nominal weight of oil given by manufacturers. I just thought your spread of 15W to 2.5W was just too alarmist and complicated the issue too much. Thats why I asked for examples just in case there was one, there isn't.

Look at the chart I linked and you'll see that the Motul 2.5wt (actual viscosity of 15.0), and the OEM KHL-15-10 (actual viscosity of 15.3). 

I had my forks serviced recently and the shop used Motul 15 wt.  The bike was essentially unrideable.  The forks were super stiff, rough, and bouncy.  I went back and showed them this chart and they agreed to change the fork oil to get the proper viscosity.

Offline TowerMan

• Versys God
  • Bike: Mk1 V650 & Mk2 V
  • City / Town: Biggar.
Reply #13 on: July 16, 2021, 03:21:59 PM
Do you have an example of two oils showing the same wt on the bottle but where one is actually 15wt and the other 2.5 weight

TB

TB

See this PDF document" Motul fork oil expert blend chart" I previously uploaded to this forum HERE:031: :031:

Richard    :001:

On the www.versys.co.uk forum

@ Rhayader - Mid Wales

Offline Topbox

• Versys Pro
Reply #14 on: July 17, 2021, 08:46:44 AM
*Originally Posted by TowerMan [+]
TB

See this PDF document" Motul fork oil expert blend chart" I previously uploaded to this forum HERE:031: :031:

Hi Towerman,

Yes I've seen charts like that  before. Yours seems to translate manufacturers labelled oil to Motul grades.

I think Sweatmachine is confusing centistokes with the oil weight printed on the label.

TB

Life, its not a rehersal.

Offline RaYzerman

• Versys Member
  • Bike: 2016 V1000 LT
  • City / Town: Millgrove, ON
Reply #15 on: July 17, 2021, 10:06:26 PM
Take a peek at this more comprehensive comparison chart.........

http://www.peterverdone.com/wiki/index.php?title=Suspension_Fluid
2016 V1000 LT,  '09 CBF1000 A9, '99 VFR 800 Fi

Experience is a great teacher, she gives you the tests first and the lessons later.

waggish