Author Topic: Camping set up  (Read 366 times)

Offline Roberto19

• Versys Member
  • Bike: Versys 1000 S GT 21
  • City / Town: Gloucester
Camping set up
on: July 19, 2021, 10:49:48 AM
Hello everyone,

I'm looking to go camping for a night or two on the Versys. Problem is I cannot find a video anywhere of how to pack everything up on the bike when you are riding 2 up. Most people strap the tent to the rear seat but my wife will be on the back. The kawasaki panniers are obviously not the flattest in order to strap things on top of but this might be the only options.

I just wanted to know if anyone has gone 2 up camping and how they have done it.

Cheers!

Offline peejay69

• Versys Pro
  • There is no such thing as government funded.
  • Bike: 2019 V1k (Vicky)
  • City / Town: Rushden
Re: Camping set up
Reply #1 on: July 19, 2021, 12:54:54 PM
The obvious one is along the top of the side panniers of course for the tent.

I would consider dispensing with the top box and utilise a large sausage bag, with a thin board under it for rigidity outside the top box mounting plate, and get the tent either inside it or bungee’d to the top if it. I use an 80 litre overboard bag. It stays within the width of the panniers, but I use it across the back seat as I have no friends.

I saw a BMW with a small platform on top of the top box which was then used like a mini luggage rack, like one of those on the boot of a Triumph Spitfire back in the day.
Holy war is fully grown adults killing each other to prove they have a better imaginary friend.

Offline TowerMan

• Versys God
  • Bike: Mk1 V650 & Mk2 V
  • City / Town: Biggar.
Reply #2 on: July 19, 2021, 01:16:16 PM
Or get a mono trailer
http://www.mono-trail.co.uk/

Then the better 1/2 can take all her shoes :008:
Richard    :001:

On the www.versys.co.uk forum

@ Rhayader - Mid Wales

Offline Roberto19

• Versys Member
Reply #3 on: July 19, 2021, 03:28:50 PM
 :745: :745: haha thanks guys

Offline Ditchburn12

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 2015KLZ H2 S2 MV KLV
  • City / Town: Cheshire
Reply #4 on: July 19, 2021, 03:36:48 PM
I have a Givi V56 top box with the optional small Givi rack screwed on top of the lid. I can get our tent, small cooker and sleeping bags in the top box with a waterproof bag strapped to the rack for waterproofs/used clothes etc. I put an airbed in one pannier leaving one and a half panniers and a 25 litre tank bag spare for clean clothes etc. The panniers are Kappa K40's so both they and the top box are slightly larger than the Kawasaki ones. I've used this setup around Europe without any issues.

Offline jerry_james

• Versys Master
  • Love riding the Big V
  • Bike: 2019 Versys 1000SE+
  • City / Town: Bella Vista Arkansas
Reply #5 on: July 20, 2021, 03:14:55 AM
Jamie and I moto camp a ton. It my not be pretty but it works. Here is our set up on the 2015 Versys!
You can read about that trip here. PM if you want more specifics.

https://motoadrenalinetours.blog/2018/09/06/kentucky-healing-a-much-needed-journey/

*Originally Posted by Roberto19 [+]
Hello everyone,

I'm looking to go camping for a night or two on the Versys. Problem is I cannot find a video anywhere of how to pack everything up on the bike when you are riding 2 up. Most people strap the tent to the rear seat but my wife will be on the back. The kawasaki panniers are obviously not the flattest in order to strap things on top of but this might be the only options.

I just wanted to know if anyone has gone 2 up camping and how they have done it.

Cheers!
Jerry James
2019 Kawasaki Versys 1000SE+
Bella Vista Arkansas
https://motoadrenalinetours.blog
https://www.youtube.com/c/jerryjames2up

Offline Roberto19

• Versys Member
Reply #6 on: July 21, 2021, 01:18:31 PM
Thanks Jerry thats very helpful actually i will look at that. Is that blag bag on the top box your tent?

Offline peejay69

• Versys Pro
  • There is no such thing as government funded.
  • Bike: 2019 V1k (Vicky)
  • City / Town: Rushden
Reply #7 on: July 21, 2021, 01:51:47 PM
Another thing you can do is bungee your tent poles behind your seat, almost under the rear box plate, then flat pack your tent fabric bits into one of your boxes, depending on the space you have to spare after packing kit for 2 adult hoomans.
Holy war is fully grown adults killing each other to prove they have a better imaginary friend.