Author Topic: Side Stand  (Read 415 times)

Offline Soulbiker

• Versys Newbie
  • Bike: Versys 1000 SE GT
  • City / Town: Doncaster
Side Stand
on: July 21, 2021, 05:20:14 PM
Hi
Has anyone on here modded the sidestand on their Versys. I recall my SO had a 650 and I always thought that the sidestand was a terrible design. There is no lean whatsoever and outside in the real world the ground is unpredictable and anything higher than level on the stand side means you're asking for a tip over or the stand flicking up with dire consequences.

Many thanks in advance

Offline Floydsz1

• Versys God
  • Bike: 1000 SE GT 2019
  • City / Town: Sunny Morecambe
Re: Side Stand
Reply #1 on: July 21, 2021, 06:54:20 PM
I shortened mine on my 2015 when I lowered the suspension,  but on my 2019, even though I've lowered this one, though by not as much,  I don't have a problem,  I've just to be careful.  I have been thinking of shortening it but I've been trying to find a shorter one from a different model.
I don't suppose yours has had the suspension lowered  ? .

Online 2tallrider

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 2019 Versys 1000 SE
  • City / Town: Grande Prairie
Reply #2 on: July 21, 2021, 10:41:36 PM
*Originally Posted by Soulbiker [+]
Hi
Has anyone on here modded the sidestand on their Versys. I recall my SO had a 650 and I always thought that the sidestand was a terrible design. There is no lean whatsoever and outside in the real world the ground is unpredictable and anything higher than level on the stand side means you're asking for a tip over or the stand flicking up with dire consequences.

Many thanks in advance
I ended up adding a larger foot to mine.

Offline Kaw

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 1000 versys
  • City / Town: WOLVERHAMPTON
Reply #3 on: July 22, 2021, 07:09:58 AM
*Originally Posted by 2tallrider [+]
I ended up adding a larger foot to mine.

I had one but had to take it off kept scraping it

Offline Soulbiker

• Versys Newbie
Reply #4 on: July 22, 2021, 08:07:02 AM
Would adding the large foot make the lean angle less effectively making the bike stand even more upright?

Offline Soulbiker

• Versys Newbie
Reply #5 on: July 22, 2021, 08:10:10 AM
*Originally Posted by Floydsz1 [+]

I don't suppose yours has had the suspension lowered  ? .

No it's a stock bike at the moment, I have very little confidence in the side -stand when parking on any surface that doesn't fall away

Offline TallyRex

• Versys God
  • Bike: V1K, 900RS, ZRX1200
  • City / Town: Tallahassee
Reply #6 on: July 22, 2021, 09:09:22 AM
The easiest and least expensive thing to try to is to grind down the sidestand stop with a dremel.  It may not do the trick but it can't hurt

Offline Floydsz1

• Versys God
  • Bike: 1000 SE GT 2019
  • City / Town: Sunny Morecambe
Reply #7 on: July 22, 2021, 09:44:56 AM
*Originally Posted by TallyRex [+]
The easiest and least expensive thing to try to is to grind down the sidestand stop with a dremel.  It may not do the trick but it can't hurt

I've thought about doing that, I've done it on my zrx1200 because its a known fact on their forum that when the bikes on its sidestand it can easily roll forward,  especially when you're getting on the bike.

Online 2tallrider

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 2019 Versys 1000 SE
  • City / Town: Grande Prairie
Reply #8 on: July 22, 2021, 03:39:18 PM
I don't really see what the concern is myself. I've had the bike since summer 2019 and installed the bigger foot almost immediately as it kept sinking into the ground. The kick stand could be a bit shorter but If I am concerned at all with a parking spot I will ensure I find a spot where it has sufficient lean to it, or leave the bike in gear so it can't roll ahead....I have bigger things to worry about  :001:

Offline 9094

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: Versys 1000 LT
  • City / Town: Kansas City
Reply #9 on: July 22, 2021, 07:11:01 PM
Yep, easy to do. I simply cut a short, like 2" piece off some 1/8"x1-1/2" band iron scrap I had around, ground the corners round,  cut the existing stand off approx an inch up at the estimated angle I'd need. set it on the new piece to check lean and foot angle. a bit more trimming and weld it. bit of gloss black paint and done. I did mark it, pull the side stand and weld it on the bench, but could be done on the bike if you scrape a place for the ground clamp on the stand. (and your knees will let you get down there,,,)  If you get a lowering kit, may need to do it again...

Edit:  looking at the picture, that's not the best weld I've ever done...
         And I'd recommend offsetting the foot to the outside more

Last Edit: July 22, 2021, 07:20:13 PM by 9094

waggish