Author Topic: Fans  (Read 989 times)

Offline yojak

• Versys Member
  • Bike: 2019 Versys 1000
  • City / Town: FORT COLLINS
Fans
on: July 21, 2021, 07:44:50 PM
Howdy all,

On my last bike after I sh#t it off on a hot day, the fans would continue running until the water temp dropped below some threshold. On the Versys the fans shut off when I turn the key.

I'm wondering what others do in this circumstance. Let the motor run until the fan shuts off, hit the kill switch to keep the fans running, or do I have a problem and need to replace the water temp thermostat?

Thanks in advance.

Online RaYzerman

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 2016 V1000 LT
  • City / Town: Millgrove, ON
Re: Fans
Reply #1 on: July 21, 2021, 10:26:51 PM
When you ride it if you don't have any concerns about your cooling system (rad clean, coolant level OK, etc.), then I'd not worry.  You can monitor your coolant temperatures when on normal highway and know if you have a thermostat issue or not. 
Fans running after the engine is off is a bit silly, as coolant is not circulating...
2016 V1000 LT,  '09 CBF1000 A9, '99 VFR 800 Fi

Experience is a great teacher, she gives you the tests first and the lessons later.

Offline 2tallrider

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 2019 Versys 1000 SE
  • City / Town: Grande Prairie
Reply #2 on: July 24, 2021, 01:30:58 AM
*Originally Posted by yojak [+]
Howdy all,

On my last bike after I sh#t it off on a hot day, the fans would continue running until the water temp dropped below some threshold. On the Versys the fans shut off when I turn the key.

I'm wondering what others do in this circumstance. Let the motor run until the fan shuts off, hit the kill switch to keep the fans running, or do I have a problem and need to replace the water temp thermostat?

Thanks in advance.
It's operating normally, just ride it. You have a temp gauge so I'm not sure what your concern is.

Offline yojak

• Versys Member
Reply #3 on: July 24, 2021, 02:55:55 AM
I agree with you, it's just the difference in behavior between the two machines. Given the Versys is the newer of the two I'll assume that Kawasaki in their infinite wisdom decided that it wasn't necessary to get the water temp below a set point after shut down. Being new to the bike I thought it wise to ask the assembled intelligence...wherever they are... :7:

Offline 2tallrider

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 2019 Versys 1000 SE
  • City / Town: Grande Prairie
Reply #4 on: July 24, 2021, 03:59:35 AM
I agree with you, it's just the difference in behavior between the two machines. Given the Versys is the newer of the two I'll assume that Kawasaki in their infinite wisdom decided that it wasn't necessary to get the water temp below a set point after shut down. Being new to the bike I thought it wise to ask the assembled intelligence...wherever they are... :7:
My 1500 Classic did the same thing......fan ran till the temp went down. I've ridden the Versys in all kinds of weather and temps. It doesn't take long for it to hit 100 degree's when riding slow or stopped, but the fan seems to be pretty efficient at at lowering the temp

Offline TallyRex

• Versys God
  • Bike: V1K, 900RS, ZRX1200
  • City / Town: Tallahassee
Reply #5 on: July 24, 2021, 08:47:40 AM
If your fan runs while you're in stop and go traffic or when you're sitting at a long red light on a hot day, then I think you're OK. If the fan is running when you are on the open road then I think you have a problem.

Offline Dolf

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: Versys 1000 SE
  • City / Town: Enschede
Reply #6 on: July 24, 2021, 03:14:17 PM
I live in a 30 km/h zone, so after each ride coming home the water temperature is above 100 degrees Celsius and the fan is running.
Just for testing, when I arrived home yesterday I
hit the kill switch to keep the fans running
at 101 degrees but the temperature just kept rising. When reaching 104 degrees I switched of the ignition.

Offline Rockdoc

• Versys Master
  • Bike: 2019 V1000 SE GT
  • City / Town: Derby
Reply #7 on: July 24, 2021, 05:32:57 PM
Once the fan kicks in on mine the temperature drops quite quickly and has never risen while the fan is running. If your fan isn't doing the same there's something amiss. Either there is a lot of debris in the fins of your radiator - unlikely I would have said because your bike isn't overheating in normal use - or the fan isn't working properly or at all. It needs investigation.

Keith
2019 Emerald Blazed Green Metallic/Flat Spark Black SE GT.
Where do they get the names for these colours?

Offline yojak

• Versys Member
Reply #8 on: July 24, 2021, 06:12:42 PM
I agree with pretty much everything said here. The fan kicks in in traffic and, after a hot day's ride, when I pull into the garage. I've had exactly the same experience with the temps rising after hitting the kill switch. I believe that has something to do with the temp sensor being located far enough away from the radiator as to not be affected by the cooling action of the fan due to the water no longer moving, but I haven't checked the manual to verify. No noticeable fan action at speed.
Based on the comments here everything appears copacetic. I just need to adjust to the Versys behavior and all will be well. As someone said previously, "just ride".
I appreciate everyone's comments, thank you.

Offline Rockdoc

• Versys Master
  • Bike: 2019 V1000 SE GT
  • City / Town: Derby
Reply #9 on: July 24, 2021, 07:20:55 PM
They do have their quirks. Every other water-cooled vehicle I've ever driven has had a constant operating temperature. The Versys' trait of letting it vary had me worried until I was assured that was what it should do.

Keith
2019 Emerald Blazed Green Metallic/Flat Spark Black SE GT.
Where do they get the names for these colours?

waggish