Author Topic: New Versys hopeful  (Read 608 times)

Offline RonnieDaBear

• Versys Member
  • Bike: '06 V-Strom 650
  • City / Town: NJ
New Versys hopeful
on: July 21, 2021, 11:12:33 PM
Hi all, don't own a Versys yet, but hoping to fix that in the near future. Currently riding a well farkled V-Strom 650, which from what I hear is a pretty common previous bike for you Versys 1000 owners. Enjoy the occasional commute to work, but mostly day trips with my wife, or we'll plan occasional long weekend rides to neighboring states to check out a new brewery (our other passion). Here's a few pics of me, the missus, and my current ride.

Offline Deso_70

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 2017 Versys 1000 GT
  • City / Town: Grimsby
Re: New Versys hopeful
Reply #1 on: July 22, 2021, 05:10:28 AM
You’ll find the VK1 will handle 2up much easier. I guarantee you’ll have more fun.

Welcome to the forum.
What if the whole world farted at once?

Offline Rockdoc

• Versys Master
  • Bike: 2019 V1000 SE GT
  • City / Town: Derby
Reply #2 on: July 22, 2021, 08:55:44 AM
I think the chances are your wife will be more comfortable on the Versys because the seat's bigger. We have the GT version, with the OEM top box, and Ruth finds the slight amount of support she gets from it means she arrives fresh as a daisy. The handling is excellent two-up so long as you've got the rear preload right. They are very sensitive to that so if you don't have the electronic suspension it is well worth taking time to find the range for you. Just one click out and it feels like a different bike.

Keith
2019 Emerald Blazed Green Metallic/Flat Spark Black SE GT.
Where do they get the names for these colours?

Offline TallyRex

• Versys God
  • Bike: V1K, 900RS, ZRX1200
  • City / Town: Tallahassee
Reply #3 on: July 22, 2021, 08:59:18 AM
Welcome  :031:

While your wife may enjoy the seat, you will love the  power and smoothness of the engine

Offline RonnieDaBear

• Versys Member
Reply #4 on: July 22, 2021, 03:11:39 PM
Thanks guys. I've actually upgraded to a Russel Day Long seat since those photos, which is heaven on earth for my rear end, and my wife likes it well enough (I think it provides a bit more room than the stock seat), but she's not quite as over the moon about it as I am. I might need to budget for one on whatever Versys I eventually wind up getting, because I will miss it terribly, in all of its dorky splendor.

She sat on the Versys with me I recently checked out and discussed over in the general chat section, and she liked the seat comfort, positioning, and room well enough, though she's worried that she'll have a hard time getting up on her perch on a stock height variant (the one we checked out was significantly lowered).

Offline TYKE

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: BMW R 1250 GS TE
  • City / Town: Cumbria * U.K
Reply #5 on: July 22, 2021, 03:47:03 PM
 :185:  along, the versys is an all round excellent bike..good luck with your deliberating   :002:   
The world is full of good people, if you can't find one - be one

Make every second count, make every moment special.

Rog

Offline Floydsz1

• Versys God
  • Bike: 1000 SE GT 2019
  • City / Town: Sunny Morecambe
Reply #6 on: July 22, 2021, 04:09:35 PM
 :764:

Offline Rockdoc

• Versys Master
  • Bike: 2019 V1000 SE GT
  • City / Town: Derby
Reply #7 on: July 22, 2021, 04:44:51 PM
*Originally Posted by RonnieDaBear [+]
She sat on the Versys with me I recently checked out and discussed over in the general chat section, and she liked the seat comfort, positioning, and room well enough, though she's worried that she'll have a hard time getting up on her perch on a stock height variant (the one we checked out was significantly lowered).
There's a technique to it, certainly. My wife, who's around 5ft 6in, had a slight stroke in 2015 that left a little weakness in her left leg. At the time we had a BMW K1200LT that had footboards on the rear and that made getting on reasonably easy for her. When we bought a Versys she struggled with the much narrower rest to begin with and I bought some wider pegs to help but, before I had time to fit them, she had mastered (mistressed?) the technique and has never needed them. The only time she has any problem is if the bike is at the top of a slope so the effective height of the peg is increased. Now we've twigged that I know to position it for her.

Ruth gets on by putting her left foot on the rest, gripping my left shoulder as best she can - her left hand is also affected by the stroke - putting her right hand onto the top box for balance and up she goes.

Keith
2019 Emerald Blazed Green Metallic/Flat Spark Black SE GT.
Where do they get the names for these colours?

Offline RonnieDaBear

• Versys Member
Reply #8 on: July 22, 2021, 04:48:26 PM
Thank you for the tips, Keith - I'll suggest this method to my wife, assuming the next one we check out has a top box

Offline Jed

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 2016 Versys1000
  • City / Town: Lincolnshire
Reply #9 on: July 22, 2021, 06:08:06 PM
 :185:to the forum. The Versys is definitely the best bike in its class for 2 up touring.  :031: