Author Topic: A short trip to North Yorkshire  (Read 544 times)

Offline Rockdoc

• Versys Master
  • Bike: 2019 V1000 SE GT
  • City / Town: Derby
A short trip to North Yorkshire
on: July 23, 2021, 04:45:59 PM
I needed some more boots and several of my friends eulogise about Alt Berg's products so we decided to combine a trip to the factory in Richmond with a few days in the area.

Alt Berg is incredibly professional. My feet were measured by a high-tech gizmo, confirming my right is an 11 but my left is a 10! The gadget somehow also measured my instep, which is often a deal breaker because it's high. I ended up trying several boots in different sizes and widths until we found one I was happy with. At one point the slightly exasperated fitter muttered "You don't half have odd feet!" with a grin. I responded with "They match the rest of me!"

Luckily they had that particular Bahn Rider in stock so they'll arrive next Tuesday. They apparently can't make any kind of boot fast enough so I was lucky. It could have been 16 weeks!

We were really lucky to drop onto a smashing little pub called The Old Royal George in Morton on Swale and I can't recommend it highly enough. The room had lots of space and the bed was very comfortable so the basics were there! What clinched it was the food, though. It's family-run and they take great pride in what they serve. It's delicious, not pub grub for the most part and they don't skimp! The landlady makes her own ice cream and I don't think I've eaten better. I had chocolate & marzipan, caramel latte, raspberry twist and honey & lavender flavours over the three nights.

When I paid the bill this morning I actually asked if she'd included everything because it was so much lower than I was expecting!

On Wednesday we went to the Wensleydale Heritage Railway, only a few miles from the pub. It was an excellent day if you're into that kind of thing and I am. Yesterday we went to the National Trust Nunnington Hall. It wasn't all that far but it included a stretch of the A170 from Thirsk over Sutton Bank and that's a motorcycling joy. Just enough bends to make it interesting and glorious views but the climb - and descent - of Sutton Bank at 25% or 1 in 4 is the icing on the cake. I'm still smiling!

So it's not an epic trip but we've had a nice break and enjoyed being on the bike. This part of Yorkshire is new to us and offers a lot so I'm sure we'll be back.

Keith
2019 Emerald Blazed Green Metallic/Flat Spark Black SE GT.
Where do they get the names for these colours?

Offline BigAlan

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: Versys
  • City / Town: Oxford
Re: A short trip to North Yorkshire
Reply #1 on: July 23, 2021, 04:54:39 PM
Funnily enough we were at the Altberg place in Richmond just yesterday and my mate had the same great service, gets his new boots in 10-12 weeks, had lunch in Leyburn afterwards.
Versys S Tourer, 2021

Offline Roberto19

• Versys Member
  • Bike: Versys 1000 S GT 21
  • City / Town: Gloucester
Reply #2 on: July 23, 2021, 05:09:47 PM
You'll have to let us know how they fit and feel!

Offline Soulbiker

• Versys Member
  • Bike: Versys 1000 SE GT
  • City / Town: Doncaster
Reply #3 on: July 23, 2021, 09:35:15 PM
Hi Keith

I'm up in Doncaster and regularly visit that part of the world, if you eve r fancy a day out riding I'm more than happy to take you on a guided route I do 3 or 4  times a year. ( Well before lockdown anyway)

Cheers

Stewart

Offline Rockdoc

• Versys Master
Reply #4 on: July 24, 2021, 09:31:04 AM
Thanks. I'll bear that in mind. Someone in the pub one evening talked about a circular run from Leyburn to Kirkby Stephen that sounded interesting but didn't fit into our plans for last week.

Keith

Offline TYKE

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: BMW R 1250 GS TE
  • City / Town: Cumbria * U.K
Reply #5 on: July 24, 2021, 06:54:50 PM
I'm sure they feel great Keith and will last you for years, I've heard nothing but good reports about Alt Berg boots   :169:   
The world is full of good people, if you can't find one - be one

Make every second count, make every moment special.

Rog

Offline Rockdoc

• Versys Master
Reply #6 on: July 24, 2021, 07:16:58 PM
I'm sure they will, Rog. They aren't technically the right size for my feet but as soon as I put them on they felt good and a walk around the shop area had me saying "Put a bow on these. They're the ones I want."

My current boots are a pair from BMW - a second pair in that style actually - that have served me well and will stand a new sole/heel combo so can be a spare set. After I lost a lot of weight, though, my feet dropped a full size - because they don't spread as much as they did I'm told - so they're a bit on the big side. These are taller in the leg, a snugger fit and are solid leather instead of the leather/fabric combo of the BMWs. I'll probably need to get used to them and perhaps even get the pedals moved. We'll see.

Keith

Offline TYKE

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: BMW R 1250 GS TE
  • City / Town: Cumbria * U.K
Reply #7 on: July 24, 2021, 09:08:36 PM
Your probably right there Keith, some adjustments to the foot controls may be necessary

I recently purchased a pair of Forma Hyper summer boots and they are so comfy   :169:   
The world is full of good people, if you can't find one - be one

Make every second count, make every moment special.

Rog