Author Topic: Any Experience with Madstad Windscreen?  (Read 367 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline kris

  • Versys Master
  • ****
  • Posts: 566
  • Bike: Versys 1000
  • Country: th
Any Experience with Madstad Windscreen?
on: July 24, 2021, 01:47:22 AM
I just installed Madstad, 20", and could not figure out at which angle to set it up to get rid of buffeting.  At the end, I transferred to it spoiler from my old MRA windshield, and this made a huge difference.  I still need to test the bike on a proper highway, but wonder if someone can share their experience. 

By the way, how does the angle of the screen effect buffeting?  some like to have it more vertical, others more horizontal....

Offline 9094

  • Versys Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 244
  • Bike: Versys 1000 LT
  • City / Town: Kansas City
  • Country: us
Re: Any Experience with Madstad Windscreen?
Reply #1 on: July 24, 2021, 05:18:23 AM
I have a Madstad on all 3 current bikes. And I had to add a spoiler/deflector to the one on my Versys also. even after returning the original Madstad and ordering one 3" wider.  It now works pretty good. I do like the wider width. The spoiler/wing/deflector thing is a chinese copy of an MRA from scamazon, works but pretty distorted and cheaper hardware. Will get an MRA version one of these days. I do need to trim the Madstad down now, it's almost too tall with the wing.
Madstad recommends 60 degrees for their shields iirc. mine is laid back further.

 


 The other 2 bikes are naked cruisers and I had to add deflectors down on the engine guard/frame tubes to make them work properly. they deflect air up into the vacuum behind the shield.  The Madstads on them mount to an existing windshield that was cut down approx. 5" .

I've decided it's the fact you have 2 layers that make them work as one of mine has the top layer larger than the lower, One has them both about the same size and the Versys with the small top layer.  The best one has a 3" gap between the layers.  the new style Madstad brackets don't allow as wide a gap as their older ones.

View over my shoulder on one of the others:



I took the top 5" I'd cut off one bike's shield, mounted it to a Honda F6B (naked Goldwing) low factory shield on four 2" plastic stand-offs, It worked fine for me then, turbulence free at highway speeds. (unfortunately, the owner needed it taller as he was 3" taller than me,,,)

Offline kris

  • Versys Master
  • ****
  • Posts: 566
  • Bike: Versys 1000
  • Country: th
Re: Any Experience with Madstad Windscreen?
Reply #2 on: July 24, 2021, 06:58:32 AM
Thank you for sharing.  I need to experiment on a highway with the adjustment.  I got a mobile app to determine the 60 degree angle, as I don't really know how to use their sheet of paper.  You do not really need a lower shield with the x-creen spoiler, because the spoiler can be adjusted to the same hight as the screen; also if you drill holes, you can drill them wherever you desire.  Another thing is that their 'track' brackets can be fitted on top of the factory bracket, or slided lower.  Meaning, there is one more option of lowering the screen. 

I ordered one more Madstad system for my Versys 650, but now I hesitate whether to install it.  On 1000 it looks about right, but seems a bit too big for 650.   For now I have the full MRA system on 650, which looks very nice, and it works adequately, even though I get some buffeting. 

I was wondering if anyone thought of fitting side acrylic deflectors?  I ride near the sea, and here there is a lot side wind coming in. 



Last Edit: July 24, 2021, 07:13:09 AM by kris

Online dketchum

  • Versys Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 98
  • Bike: 16 Versys 1000
  • City / Town: San Antonio
  • Country: us
Re: Any Experience with Madstad Windscreen?
Reply #3 on: July 24, 2021, 03:26:09 PM
I have used Madstaad screens for years, have had them on my Gold wing, V-strom, Versys 650 and now my Versys 1000(2016)  For me they have worked very well..I am only 5'8 with long legs 32" inseam,  long arms but a short torso. I added foam to my seat and I run a pad mostly for the height increase  and  I have lowered my pegs
My only complaint about the Madstaad has been its performance in "dirty air"  lots of vehicles, big trucks etc.  What has solved 90 percent of the issues for me was to remove the hand guards. for some aerodynamic reason the guards and the madstaad didn't get along ...But since dong that, it has been fantastic. So smooth, zero back pressure. Down here in the hot texas summers, I have to put the screen and the lowest possible position to try and get some airflow for cooling.

Those are my experiences with Madstaad.


Offline kris

  • Versys Master
  • ****
  • Posts: 566
  • Bike: Versys 1000
  • Country: th
Re: Any Experience with Madstad Windscreen?
Reply #4 on: July 24, 2021, 03:32:25 PM
*Originally Posted by dketchum [+]
I have used Madstaad screens for years, have had them on my Gold wing, V-strom, Versys 650 and now my Versys 1000(2016)  For me they have worked very well..I am only 5'8 with long legs 32" inseam,  long arms but a short torso. I added foam to my seat and I run a pad mostly for the height increase  and  I have lowered my pegs
My only complaint about the Madstaad has been its performance in "dirty air"  lots of vehicles, big trucks etc.  What has solved 90 percent of the issues for me was to remove the hand guards. for some aerodynamic reason the guards and the madstaad didn't get along ...But since dong that, it has been fantastic. So smooth, zero back pressure. Down here in the hot texas summers, I have to put the screen and the lowest possible position to try and get some airflow for cooling.

Those are my experiences with Madstaad.

Great.  At what angle Madstad works for you the best? 

Offline Ace50

  • Versys Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 183
  • Bike: 2019 V1K SE
  • City / Town: VA
  • Country: us
Re: Any Experience with Madstad Windscreen?
Reply #5 on: July 24, 2021, 05:00:13 PM
*Originally Posted by kris [+]

I was wondering if anyone thought of fitting side acrylic deflectors?  I ride near the sea, and here there is a lot side wind coming in.

See link, 3rd reply:
They're for turbulence and some side winds.

https://www.versys1000.com/index.php/topic,22201.0.html
Last Edit: July 24, 2021, 05:31:06 PM by Ace50

Online dketchum

  • Versys Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 98
  • Bike: 16 Versys 1000
  • City / Town: San Antonio
  • Country: us
Re: Any Experience with Madstad Windscreen?
Reply #6 on: July 24, 2021, 05:41:08 PM
*Originally Posted by kris [+]
Great.  At what angle Madstad works for you the best?

60 degrees