Author Topic: Bloody suspension  (Read 2282 times)

Turner and 8 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online Kawasakikid

• Versys Newbie
  • Bike: 2020 versys 1000
  • City / Town: Selby
Re: Bloody suspension
Reply #20 on: September 27, 2021, 07:54:19 AM
The bikes good if on twisty bits it's when you are going along about 80mph on straights then it seems to want to weave about the front feels like it's light ..the faster you go the worst it feels .you can ride it fast up to 80 but after that it just does not feel right .. seemed better 2 up and fully loaded with luggage .. reading what maxton said that sounds about right ..

Offline uralrob

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 2015 V1k, 2014 V650
  • City / Town: Bridgewater N.S.
Reply #21 on: September 27, 2021, 12:05:12 PM

I only have that problem occasionally and then with a passenger. Sliding as far forward as possible on the seat usually stops the weave.

I do have a barn door of a screen which may exert some down pressure.

Rob.

Offline leachy

• Versys Member
  • Bike: Versys 1000
  • City / Town: Kurrajong
Reply #22 on: September 27, 2021, 11:25:28 PM
I guess air is somehow lift the front then. Is it possible to slide the front forks a bit through the triple clamps and drop the front a little. I just figured it was the upright riding position and you start acting like a sail and all the turbulence from the screen and rider, this then gets transferred through to the bars and small inputs. I think it gets negated by GS and Ducati because the weight is lower or more forward over the front wheel.

Sitting on 80mph or 130km/h here in Australia for to long to many times will quickly fix any problems you have with riding.   

Leachy

Offline TallyRex

• Versys God
  • Bike: V1K, 900RS, ZRX1200
  • City / Town: Tallahassee
Reply #23 on: September 28, 2021, 10:32:03 AM
I've got a 2015 and have not experienced any problem up to 120mph.  In fact, I lowered the rear and never touched the front end.  Perhaps the problems occur with aftermarket windshields?

Online Kawasakikid

• Versys Newbie
  • Bike: 2020 versys 1000
  • City / Town: Selby
Reply #24 on: September 28, 2021, 11:00:40 AM
It's the standard Kawasaki one it was the same with the smaller screen .

Offline Keener

• Versys God
  • Bike: 2015 Versys 1000
Reply #25 on: September 28, 2021, 08:01:36 PM
 I think the stock suspension is fine for the intended purpose of the motorcycle in my case a 2015 V1 .
Solo i can set the suspension up so it is adequate for all but aggressive canyon riding where rapid changes in road condition and tighter corners finds the bike vague and somewhat unpredictable, at this point i simply slow down and ride as smoothly as possible and find that the bike is still totally enjoyable , when you get on in age its about being out there and enjoying the day  :152:
When riding double my girlfriend is all of 115 lbs  with gear so the stock shock is just adequate plus i slow down considerably to accommodate her mostly.
I have ridden bikes with better suspension than my V1 but at a much greater cost , the 2015 V1 is a bike that was sold to a price point that results in lower cost suspension and that is the fact of it.
I must say though ..it is a competent motorcycle and has comfort reliability , strong midrange etc  overall it is a great bike.
Cheers Keener 

Last Edit: September 28, 2021, 08:05:44 PM by Keener

Offline TYKE

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: BMW R 1250 GS TE
  • City / Town: Cumbria * U.K
Reply #26 on: September 28, 2021, 08:37:32 PM
 :762: in fact an excellent  post  IMHO 
The world is full of good people, if you can't find one - be one

Make every second count, make every moment special.

Rog

Offline RaYzerman

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 2016 V1000 LT
  • City / Town: Millgrove, ON
Reply #27 on: September 30, 2021, 08:32:56 PM
Keener, I think you've stumbled on it, but I want to take it a step further as a canyon carver..... just got back from a 3500 km trip into Quebec where I ran into many types of road surfaces, frost heaves, good pavement, elevation changes and curvy roads..... I was testing my latest settings......

200 lb. rider, front preload with 3 bars showing, rebound damping at 2 clicks out, had previously changed the fork oil to 10W to get some more compression damping (definitely necessary IMHO).  Front forks are raised ~15mm in the triple clamps.
Rear shock at 11 clicks in preload and damping at exactly one turn out.
Tires were fairly new Angel GT's, now with ~5000 kms on them.

This is actually pretty good for canyon carving, seems to soak up bumps fairly well, front end dive drastically reduced, better braking feel, etc....  overall I'm kinda happy although this isn't aftermarket suspension.  I do ride a little slower than I used to, but still trying to make this bike more of a sport tourer than adventure.

Next experiment, increase front fork preload and back off the rebound damping at bit.  Not much can be done to the rear..... basically I'm in the ballpark, at the limits of the OEM suspension and it will only be tweaks from here.  Mostly I can live with it another season, would like more experience before deciding to spend aftermarket money.

Took a peek yesterday at the shock, seems possible to upgrade the spring perhaps (I don't agree with Maxton it's "too hard"), I'd like a higher spring rate so I can back off the preload... might be an experiment I can look into this winter, but still going to be limited by the stock damping.
2016 V1000 LT,  '09 CBF1000 A9, '99 VFR 800 Fi

Experience is a great teacher, she gives you the tests first and the lessons later.

Offline TallyRex

• Versys God
  • Bike: V1K, 900RS, ZRX1200
  • City / Town: Tallahassee
Reply #28 on: October 01, 2021, 09:53:01 AM
*Originally Posted by RaYzerman [+]

Took a peek yesterday at the shock, seems possible to upgrade the spring perhaps (I don't agree with Maxton it's "too hard"), I'd like a higher spring rate so I can back off the preload... might be an experiment I can look into this winter, but still going to be limited by the stock damping.

Maybe a heavier fork oil?

Offline RaYzerman

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 2016 V1000 LT
  • City / Town: Millgrove, ON
Reply #29 on: October 01, 2021, 01:55:22 PM
*Originally Posted by TallyRex [+]
Maybe a heavier fork oil?
Yes definitely needs it...... did that already.
2016 V1000 LT,  '09 CBF1000 A9, '99 VFR 800 Fi

Experience is a great teacher, she gives you the tests first and the lessons later.

waggish