Author Topic: Why no love?  (Read 1146 times)

Offline sweatmachine

• Versys Master
  • Bike: 2017 Versys 1000 LT
  • City / Town: Austin, Texas
Re: Why no love?
Reply #10 on: September 22, 2021, 04:32:22 PM
*Originally Posted by Bemo [+]
Come on....share some dirt..... :notsure:....

just how much did you $ave...?

I bought my 2017 V1k LT new in March of 2019 for $11,300 out the door including all taxes and fees.

Offline Deramore

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 2020 1000 SE
Reply #11 on: September 23, 2021, 09:34:09 AM
*Originally Posted by ThatsMe [+]
With all the GS fuss, the Versys 1000 ends up in the shadows.

When I bought my 1000, I commented with 2 colleagues that I just bought a new bike and both had very similar reactions:
"Couldn't you afford the R1250GS?"
"20.000Ä for that bike? Why not a GS then?!"

Before even knowing Versys' specs, they immediately wonderes why the hell didn't I get the GS.

Iím not saying the BMW GS isnít a good bike, but it does seem to me that thereís a lot of "badge psychology" out there, which impresses some people and for which many people are prepared to pay. Just like in the car world.

When I see someone on a GS, I think "nice bike", but then I reflect that I personally couldnít bring myself to pay all that money, and then some for all the extra kit needed to bring it up to the spec of my SE GT, for a flat twin first designed in the 1920s.

Iím old enough to remember the biggest revolution in the history of bikes, when Honda  introduced the four cylinder CB 750 in 1969, followed by the Kawasaki Z900. They still do it very well.
Last Edit: September 23, 2021, 09:54:34 AM by Deramore

Offline spirit750

• Versys Newbie
  • Bike: 2017 Versys 1000
  • City / Town: West KY
Reply #12 on: September 23, 2021, 12:55:35 PM
*Originally Posted by sweatmachine [+]
I bought my 2017 V1k LT new in March of 2019 for $11,300 out the door including all taxes and fees.

I found a new 2017 this year for about $200 less than that out the door.  Had it listed for "$9,999", so I called and asked what kind of fees they were going to add.  Dealers love fees you know.  He said only tax so I said be there in a little while.

Like OP though, there were also two leftover 2019 models within driving distance that I had to think on for a little while.  In the end I decided that for me, the premium just wasn't worth it.  I think both of those have sold now.  Finding a deal in this new market felt really great.

I just think that in America when the majority of people think tourer they're looking at Harley/Indian/Victory or the Honda VTX and Goldwing.  Sport/Adventure tourers and their effectiveness is still a relatively new thing here.  It will catch on eventually.  I just got back from a trip to Deals Gap and even there it was still a Harley fest. 

Offline Bemo

• Versys Member
  • Bike: zrx
  • City / Town: USA
Reply #13 on: September 23, 2021, 01:16:37 PM
*Originally Posted by Deramore [+]
Iím not saying the BMW GS isnít a good bike, but it does seem to me that thereís a lot of "badge psychology" out there, which impresses some people and for which many people are prepared to pay. Just like in the car world.

When I see someone on a GS, I think "nice bike", but then I reflect that I personally couldnít bring myself to pay all that money, and then some for all the extra kit needed to bring it up to the spec of my SE GT, for a flat twin first designed in the 1920s.

Iím old enough to remember the biggest revolution in the history of bikes, when Honda  introduced the four cylinder CB 750 in 1969, followed by the Kawasaki Z900. They still do it very well.

"badge psychology"  I hear ya on that....

Dont know about Europe.......but USA 80's/90's/ect....HARLEY

They went out of there way to HATE on Japanese bikes... :138:

Offline Keener

• Versys God
  • Bike: 2015 Versys 1000
Reply #14 on: September 23, 2021, 04:43:58 PM
*Originally Posted by Bemo [+]
"badge psychology"  I hear ya on that....

Dont know about Europe.......but USA 80's/90's/ect....HARLEY

They went out of there way to HATE on Japanese bikes... :138:

Would not say that is true of Canada though , they do sell HD here but i have seen a major sway to Japanese /European motorcycles in the last ten years or more for sure ...HD was a bikers bike for the most part and those bikers were for the most part just weekend posers looking for a show and shine.  :169:

Perhaps the new Pan America will stimulate some growth here its seems to have gotten HD on the right track as to modern times and performance ..

Offline andersoncm2

• Versys Member
  • Motorcycle Nut
  • Bike: 2019 Versys1000selt+
  • City / Town: Keysville
Reply #15 on: September 23, 2021, 08:27:30 PM
I purchased a leftover 2019 back in March of this year at a VERY GOOD price!!! :001:  I believe you may see some leftover 2019's because the paint scheme is not one of the most attractive--the matte black and white.  I like it, but the bike does look a lot like a police bike.  I would have preferred the Green 2020, but I could not pass up the deal I got on the 2019.  Overall, I am very pleased with the 2019 Versys. 

Offline Keener

• Versys God
  • Bike: 2015 Versys 1000
Reply #16 on: September 23, 2021, 10:06:17 PM
I for one like the Black and White bikes , and of course the Orange of the 2015 ...
Beauty as they say is in the eye of the beholder , if you like it then it matters little what others think.
Some one here did some accents/changes  on the B&W bike and it looked pretty dam good i would say.. a one off.