Author Topic: T-Rex Racing Luggage Guards Do Not Fit  (Read 894 times)

Offline bgrider

• Versys Newbie
  • Bike: V1K
T-Rex Racing Luggage Guards Do Not Fit
on: September 23, 2021, 09:12:34 PM
I recently bought the T-Rex Racing Luggage Guards only fo find that they actually do not fit my 2016 Versys 1000 :187: :187: :187:
There are three mounting points - I find that no matter what sequence I try I am always a few mm short on the last mounting point.
I am either missing something or there definitely has been a manufacturing mistake - they claim the guards fit my bike  :notsure:

Has anyone had similar experience?

Offline yojak

• Versys Member
  • Bike: 2019 Versys 1000
  • City / Town: FORT COLLINS
Re: T-Rex Racing Luggage Guards Do Not Fit
Reply #1 on: September 24, 2021, 01:16:10 AM
I put T-Rex front and rear on my 2019 1000. No issues. According to the web site the set up is the same from 2012 - 2020 so you should be good. Did you watch the installation video? The only thing I can think of that might throw things off by mms is if you're missing the metal spacer at the front mounting point. If you look in the Mods section you'll see them installed, just posted a few days ago. PM me if nothing is working and I'll try and lend a hand.

Online Greaseball

• Versys Member
  • Bike: 2015 v1000
  • City / Town: MADISONVILLE
Reply #2 on: September 25, 2021, 07:09:00 PM
I got the front and back kit for my 2015 and the luggage guards don't fit. I took some pictures and a couple videos of the fit and sent them in after she suggested using a little "elbow grease" to bend the steel into place. The bracket these guards are supposed to bolt to changed in 2019, 2015-2018 have a different part number.

The top two mounting points are correct but the third one on the bottom is off by half an inch on the exhaust side, and doesn't even touch the bracket on the chain side.  I even offered to send them the peg brackets from my bike so they can get measurements because these things literally only bolt to them and nothing else... but they insisted that they just needed the entire bike from some dealership and they can't tell me when one will be in. They need to stop selling them as 2015-2020, it's a lie.

Last Edit: September 25, 2021, 07:14:57 PM by Greaseball

Offline bgrider

• Versys Newbie
Reply #3 on: September 25, 2021, 07:18:03 PM
*Originally Posted by Greaseball [+]

They need to stop selling them as 2015-2020, it's a lie.

:763:

Thank you for confirming I am not the only one!

They acted very surprised when I sent pictures and videos showing the guards do not fit. They even sent me the same diagram that comes in the box but this time with numbered steps.....

I will either look for a local welder or for someone in the UK with a newer bike who would appreciate no import tax and quicker delivery  :002:

Online Greaseball

• Versys Member
Reply #4 on: September 25, 2021, 07:35:16 PM
*Originally Posted by bgrider [+]
:763:

Thank you for confirming I am not the only one!

They acted very surprised when I sent pictures and videos showing the guards do not fit. They even sent me the same diagram that comes in the box but this time with numbered steps.....

I will either look for a local welder or for someone in the UK with a newer bike who would appreciate no import tax and quicker delivery  :002:

https://www.versys1000.com/index.php/topic,22063.10.html

Check my last post in this thread. Maybe we're doing something wrong but I really doubt it.
Are yours fitting the same way mine are with the spacing on the third bolt?

Offline bgrider

• Versys Newbie
Reply #5 on: September 25, 2021, 07:44:44 PM
Yes, I have the exact same problem as you.
sweatmachine can weld his own modifications as far as I've seen on the forum - either some adjustments were made or he managed to get ones that actually fit. I also highly doubt we're doing something incorrectly, but I would love to be proven wrong  :002:

Offline sweatmachine

• Versys Master
  • Bike: 2017 Versys 1000 LT
  • City / Town: Austin, Texas
Reply #6 on: September 27, 2021, 05:48:08 PM
T-Rex Racing changed the design of the rear guards sometime after I purchased mine.  Mine are one big long piece and the new ones are separate left and right sides.  I assume this was done to make shipping less expensive.  I know it doesn't help you guys but mine fit without any issues. 

I'm happy to have mine, so I hope yours can be sorted out.  Good luck!

Online Greaseball

• Versys Member
Reply #7 on: September 28, 2021, 11:22:09 AM
Well I talked to them again yesterday and asked if they were still able to produce the old design and at first it seemed like he was denying it existed until I said "I'm looking at one right now" then he basically said no we can't, without much reason. He said they would (re)redesign them for the 15-18 and until then they removed any products that offered luggage guards for this year range. I explained to him that they bolt on to the peg brackets and nothing else and offered to send the brackets again and he declined. I know I'm oversimplifying the solution but I don't get why they wouldn't use the design they already have if they know it works.
Last Edit: September 28, 2021, 11:23:53 AM by Greaseball

Offline TYKE

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: BMW R 1250 GS TE
  • City / Town: Cumbria * U.K
Reply #8 on: September 28, 2021, 02:26:23 PM
*Originally Posted by Greaseball [+]
Well I talked to them again yesterday and asked if they were still able to produce the old design and at first it seemed like he was denying it existed until I said "I'm looking at one right now" then he basically said no we can't, without much reason. He said they would (re)redesign them for the 15-18 and until then they removed any products that offered luggage guards for this year range. I explained to him that they bolt on to the peg brackets and nothing else and offered to send the brackets again and he declined. I know I'm oversimplifying the solution but I don't get why they wouldn't use the design they already have if they know it works.

Agreed,

And I don't understand why they appear to be so Bloody Minded about an obvious design fault  :notsure:   
The world is full of good people, if you can't find one - be one

Make every second count, make every moment special.

Rog

Offline bgrider

• Versys Newbie
Reply #9 on: September 28, 2021, 10:24:04 PM
I wonder if we could heat them up and bend them just enough?

NB I've never done this before, but in theory looks like it should work  :001:

waggish