Author Stock 2016 ECU flash  (Read 1755 times)

• Offline Deepsea   us

• Versys Member  ‐    37
    • Topic Author

Offline Deepsea

• Versys Member
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: 2016 V1K
    • City / Town: Seacoast, NH
    Stock 2016 ECU flash
    on: October 30, 2021, 09:21:18 pm
    October 30, 2021, 09:21:18 pm
    After a lengthy, informative phone call with Steve I decided to ship off my ECU from my stock 2016 to Shoodaben Engineering mainly to smooth the annoying on/off nature of the throttle. The Postal gods smiled on me with two day shipping to Florida.  Steve received my ECU on a Thursday and to my delight I received an email saying it would be shipped back to me Friday, the next day! I received my flashed ECU Monday morning. Round trip from New Hampshire was 7 days. I reinstalled the ECU, reset the idle speed and headed off on a 500 mile trip through the Adirondacks to help care for my ailing mother.
    My first impression was how smooth the engine ran. The 5K rpm vibration was greatly reduced and the throttle roll off progressive. I must admit that I still felt the throttle roll on was still kind of on/off. I did some parking lot practice and while the throttle was much improved it wasn’t totally refined. Two weeks later, mother on the way to recovery, I rode the 500 miles back home.
    During that ride I remembered Steve’s instructions included with the ECU included adjusting the throttle cable slack. I finally got around to doing that two days ago. Yesterday I rode up to Portland, Maine and back; about 130 miles. All I can say is WOW! Taking the slack out of the throttle cable gave me the refinement Steve promised. Now from start up, through back roads, interstates, twisties and parking lots power delivery is silky smooth and predictable throughout the power band.
    Next up is installing tall velocity stacks per Steve’s suggestion. I forget the particulars from his tireless explanation, but I trust that the improvement will be positive and noticeable. I feel very fortunate that I stumbled upon such an amazing bike that is supported by talent like Steve’s. Thank you!

• Offline Steve in sunny Fla   us

• Approved Vendor
    • Versys Pro  ‐    198

Offline Steve in sunny Fla

• Approved Vendor
    • Versys Pro
    • Bike: 2015 Versys 1000
    Re: Stock 2016 ECU flash
    Reply #1 on: October 31, 2021, 01:08:45 am
    October 31, 2021, 01:08:45 am
     Glad you like it Deepsea!

Adjusting throttle cables is a maintenance item that is commonly overlooked. The reason it helps so much with EFI is that when there's slack in the cables there's a long twist before anything happens. The rider doesn't get good feedback and doesn't know how much throttle to apply, and inevitably applies to much. You can't be subtle or controlled. I hope more folks will start adding throttle slack adjustment as a regular maintenance item, all bikes will benefit from keeping the cables properly adjusted with little slack.

Steve

• Offline sweatmachine   us

• Versys Master  ‐    643

Offline sweatmachine

• Versys Master
    • Bike: 2017 Versys 1000 LT
    • City / Town: Austin, Texas
    Reply #2 on: November 09, 2021, 05:12:20 pm
    November 09, 2021, 05:12:20 pm
    *Originally Posted by Steve in sunny Fla [+]

Adjusting throttle cables is a maintenance item that is commonly overlooked. The reason it helps so much with EFI is that when there's slack in the cables there's a long twist before anything happens. The rider doesn't get good feedback and doesn't know how much throttle to apply, and inevitably applies to much. You can't be subtle or controlled. I hope more folks will start adding throttle slack adjustment as a regular maintenance item, all bikes will benefit from keeping the cables properly adjusted with little slack.

Steve

I was out riding this weekend and remembered this comment. I noticed a bit of slack in my throttle cables, so I stopped to tighten everything up.  Throttle control was much improved. 

Thanks for the reminder! 

:763: :762:

• Offline Lourspolaire   ca

• Versys Member  ‐    27

Offline Lourspolaire

• Versys Member
    • Bike: 2012 Versys 1000
    Reply #3 on: November 10, 2021, 06:03:22 pm
    November 10, 2021, 06:03:22 pm

Steve

Interesting !

Do propose to remove any slack at all ?

LOP

• Offline Steve in sunny Fla   us

• Approved Vendor
    • Versys Pro  ‐    198

Offline Steve in sunny Fla

• Approved Vendor
    • Versys Pro
    • Bike: 2015 Versys 1000
    Reply #4 on: November 11, 2021, 05:37:54 pm
    November 11, 2021, 05:37:54 pm
      I think you're asking about removing all the slack? Better be careful with that. It can be done, but if you overtighten to the point turning the bars raises the rpms, you're not going to like it when you're riding and the engine speeds up on it's own.

Steve

• Offline Lourspolaire   ca

• Versys Member  ‐    27

Offline Lourspolaire

• Versys Member
    • Bike: 2012 Versys 1000
    Reply #5 on: November 19, 2021, 04:36:26 pm
    November 19, 2021, 04:36:26 pm
      I think you're asking about removing all the slack? Better be careful with that. It can be done, but if you overtighten to the point turning the bars raises the rpms, you're not going to like it when you're riding and the engine speeds up on it's own.

Steve

Got it !

Thank's

LOP

waggish