Author Tarazon Wheels any good?  (Read 522 times)

• Offline cbrrich   us

• Versys Member  ‐    47
    • Topic Author

Offline cbrrich

• Versys Member
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: 2015 V1000
    • City / Town: Reading
    Tarazon Wheels any good?
    on: April 01, 2022, 05:41:46 pm
    April 01, 2022, 05:41:46 pm
    I met with an unfortunate close encounter of the pothole kind and bent my front wheel. Not too bad but for the price of getting it straightened Ebay has an OEM style new wheel made by a company called Tarazon.
    Anyone have any info on the quality?

• Offline Ozyelk   us

• Versys Member  ‐    49

Offline Ozyelk

• Versys Member
    • Bike: 2018 1000
    • City / Town: Detroit
    Re: Tarazon Wheels any good?
    Reply #1 on: April 01, 2022, 06:40:53 pm
    April 01, 2022, 06:40:53 pm
    Unfortunately I did the same thing at the end of riding season last year (dinged the FR Wheel) on my 2018.

However, I replaced the Rim with a used '12-20 Ninja ZX-14R FR Rim (p/n 41073-0573-18f) for $130-shipped from eBay. The Axel, Brake Discs and L/RH Wheel Spacers from the Versys were a direct swap. Due to it being a rather unknown quantity (from eBay), I elected to replace the Wheel Bearings while I was in there. The Ninja and Versys have different part numbers for the Bearings, but appeared identical when I compared the parts in-hand (maybe the Ninja Bearings are of a superior load capability??), so I replaced them with the Ninja Bearings and again no issues upon assembly. I did note the Ninja Spacer tube (that sits between the Bearings) is slightly longer, but this is more due to the off-set between the Bearings inherent to the different Wheel castings - obviously I re-used the Ninja Spacer tube. As a bonus, the Ninja Rim I bought came in Black (a perfect match for the Versys Rims) - this is the '18f' designation at the end of the p/n. There are multiple colours of the same Rim produced through the model years. The Ninja Rim is of a different design (spoke configuration), basically it has more spokes and is slightly heavier as a result, but, to me, this means the likelihood of a repeat issue is reduced (hopefully). I went as far as adding the green (on my '18) Wheel tape so as to match the RR Rim and appear closer to 'stock' (and to conveniently cover a few minor chips that were present on the used Ninja Rim) - at a glance you would not notice the difference in appearance between the FR and RR Rims I now have - I had to deliberately point it out to my riding buddies...

Food for thought... :031:

• Offline RaYzerman   ca

• Versys Pro  ‐    329

Offline RaYzerman

• Versys Pro
    • Bike: 2016 V1000 LT
    • City / Town: Millgrove, ON
    Reply #2 on: April 01, 2022, 11:38:38 pm
    April 01, 2022, 11:38:38 pm
    Nice!  Filed away for future reference........ thanks.
    2016 V1000 LT,  '99 VFR 800, 2013 Fazer8 (project).

Experience is a great teacher, she gives you the tests first and the lessons later.

• Offline cbrrich   us

• Versys Member  ‐    47
    • Topic Author

Offline cbrrich

• Versys Member
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: 2015 V1000
    • City / Town: Reading
    Reply #3 on: April 22, 2022, 05:10:47 pm
    April 22, 2022, 05:10:47 pm
    The Tarazon wheel is new and there are multiple listings anywhere between $170-$200. You need bearings and seals. It is a great option if the quality is there.