Author Video and photo backup during a trip  (Read 413 times)

• Online Rockdoc   gb

• Versys Master  ‐    771
    • Topic Author

Online Rockdoc

• Versys Master
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: 2019 V1000 SE GT
    • City / Town: Derby
    Video and photo backup during a trip
    on: July 26, 2022, 12:18:13 pm
    July 26, 2022, 12:18:13 pm
    I hope I've put this in an appropriate board but, if not, Admin please move elsewhere.

OK. To the main part. We're taking the bike to The Loire Valley in France in September and I've treated myself to my first helmet cam. I'm not planning to take hours of footage on the motorways and autoroutes but I'm sure there will be plenty of opportunities to video once we get to Tours, Azay le Rideau and Fontevraud L'Abbaye. Our last night is at Châteaubourg, near Rennes. As we're on overnight ferries we'll have all day to get back to Caen we have Rennes, Mount St. Michel, Arromanches and Bayeux all on our way so there will definitely be lots there. It's a very long time since we've been to that area so we're already drooling at the prospect.

So far, so good. I have no idea how much space these videos will take up and I don't want to buy several micro SD cards I might not use but is there a way to back things up every night? I don't have room for a laptop and there wouldn't be enough memory on my phone or tablet so I need something that can be stand alone. I have found several recommendations for a RAVpower unit but it's no longer available in the U.K. What, if anything, do other cam users do?

Thanks,
    Keith
    2019 Emerald Blazed Green Metallic/Flat Spark Black SE GT.
    Where do they get the names for these colours?

• Offline jmason   us

• Versys Pro  ‐    241

Offline jmason

• Versys Pro
    • Bike: 2018 V1000
    • City / Town: LITTLETON, CO
    Re: Video and photo backup during a trip
    Reply #1 on: July 26, 2022, 05:48:03 pm
    July 26, 2022, 05:48:03 pm
    You really need to know how much space you'll be using on your SD cards on a daily basis to figure out your best option.  What camera did you purchase?  Without knowing how much space the videos will eat up on the card, and how much recording you will be doing, it will be hard to figure out the best option...

It's interesting that there are lots of discussions about the topic of backing up SD cards 'in the field', but very few products that are specifically designed for the task.  A couple of kickstarter projects have come and gone, otherwise not much out there besides the Ravpower unit you mentioned (which seems to be available in the US?!??!?)

For my purposes, my bike cams record anytime the key is turned on. They are only 1080P/30FPS recordings, but decent for my purposes. The dual cameras generate about 120MB of data every minute, so I know that I can complete 1 day of riding on a 64Gb card or 2 full days of riding on a 128MB card.  My solution was just to buy a five-pack of 64GB cards from Amazon ($65) , on top of a couple 32 and 128GB cards I already own.  With a small $10 waterproof SD card holder, I am set for trips up to 8 or ten days, and I can use one of the cards for capturing drone footage as well.   :031:

• Offline TallyRex   us

• Versys God  ‐    1602

Offline TallyRex

• Versys God
    • Bike: V1K, 900RS, ZRX1200
    • City / Town: Tallahassee
    Reply #2 on: July 27, 2022, 08:29:10 am
    July 27, 2022, 08:29:10 am
     :762:

• Online Rockdoc   gb

• Topic Author

Online Rockdoc

• Versys Master
    • Topic Author
    Reply #3 on: July 27, 2022, 09:05:31 am
    July 27, 2022, 09:05:31 am
    *Originally Posted by jmason [+]
    You really need to know how much space you'll be using on your SD cards on a daily basis to figure out your best option. 
    That's the dilemma, of course. I've never had one before also I've no idea how much use I'll make of it. It's very much like the old saying "how long is a piece of string?" - IOW unanswerable at the moment.

What camera did you purchase?  Without knowing how much space the videos will eat up on the card, and how much recording you will be doing, it will be hard to figure out the best option...
    I bought a Drift Ghost XL Pro. It was cheaper than a GoPro and is waterproof out of the box. It's capable of 4K/30 but I have nothing to watch that on so I'll use one of its lower resolutions. I'm tempted by 1080 - up to 120 fps - but in a recent video on the "A Brit A Blonde A Bike" YouTube channel Tom said he uses 2.7K and I like the quality he gets so I'll give that a try for sure. My XL Pro will do up to 60fps at that resolution so it should be quite crisp.

I think the best way to test how large a file gets produced will be to set it going and leave it running for, say, half an hour then change resolution and repeat. The camera can take micro SD cards up to 265 Gb so there should be some rattle room.

It's interesting that there are lots of discussions about the topic of backing up SD cards 'in the field', but very few products that are specifically designed for the task.  A couple of kickstarter projects have come and gone, otherwise not much out there besides the Ravpower unit you mentioned (which seems to be available in the US?!??!?)
    I found a couple of used ones on EBay but, given I want it as a protector of my files, I'm loath to buy other than new.

For my purposes, my bike cams record anytime the key is turned on. They are only 1080P/30FPS recordings, but decent for my purposes. The dual cameras generate about 120MB of data every minute, so I know that I can complete 1 day of riding on a 64Gb card or 2 full days of riding on a 128MB card.  My solution was just to buy a five-pack of 64GB cards from Amazon ($65) , on top of a couple 32 and 128GB cards I already own.  With a small $10 waterproof SD card holder, I am set for trips up to 8 or ten days, and I can use one of the cards for capturing drone footage as well.   :031:
    The impetus for buying the camera is our forthcoming trip to France but a lot of the mileage is going to be boring main roads. Once we get into a town or around the ports I'll use it most of the time, I expect. The Loire Valley is supposed to be gorgeous so it should get used a lot while we're riding there. Being wide-angle (140 deg) and only digital zoom I'm not sure how useful it will be off the bike in and around the châteaux so I'll take a conventional camera as well.

I hope this clarifies what I want to do. Thanks for the post. I'd not come across a case for multiple cards, which would make have a number of them much more practical. I must have a look for one.

Keith

• Offline Sir Rupert   gb

• Versys Pro  ‐    241

Offline Sir Rupert

• Versys Pro
    Reply #4 on: July 27, 2022, 06:20:01 pm
    July 27, 2022, 06:20:01 pm
    A word of warning about SD cards.

Just before the pandemic I bought and installed an Innov K2 (front and rear) dashcam on the bike. This gave nothing but trouble from day1, either failing to record or recording unplayable, corrupt videos.
    After much to and fro with the Innov tech department, it transpired that the problem lay not in the K2 unit itself but in the relatively cheap SD card I had bought to record on (even though the card was supposedly rated high enough to work OK in this application). I replaced this with one supplied by Innov and the problem almost, but not quite, disappeared. There was still a problem somewhere and I traced this to the standard USB 2.0 SD card reader I was using. I changed this to a much higher quality USB 3.0 and the problems have gone.

So, don't be a cheapskate like me and risk compromising the job with a less-than-adequate SD card and reader: buy the best quality ones!
    Thank you David at Innov for your patience and all the help :028:
    Socially distant since 1954.

• Online Rockdoc   gb

• Topic Author

Online Rockdoc

• Versys Master
    • Topic Author
    Reply #5 on: July 27, 2022, 06:38:41 pm
    July 27, 2022, 06:38:41 pm
    I've been doing what I love today: research. The Ghost XL Pro has umpteen options but I chose the most likely ones to check the file sizes created and the time that equated to. It wasn't a completely fair trial because the camera was just sitting on a surface with no airflow and overheated several times. When that happened it saved the video and closed down safely so that's something useful to know by itself. Whatever the settings, the videos are stored as a series of 3.66Gb files, which I believe is the maximum file size available under certain disk formats.

There are three levels of compression available in the camera set-up. The files created at highest bit rate are for the shortest times, as you're warned in the manual. The frame rate also has an effect on time length per file but it's not pro rata. 120 fps doesn't halve the time compared to 60 fps. It's more like 75%.

So, the results:

1) High bit-rate
    2.7K/60 - 10 min per file.
    2.7K/30 - 14 min 30 sec per file.
    1080/120 - 9 min 15 sec per file.
    1080/60 - 14 min 30 sec per file.

2) Medium bit-rate - I only tried the two I thought I was most likely to use at this setting.
    2.7K/60 - 23 min per file.
    1080/60 - 23 min per file.

I looked at files from each set on my computer and I thought the medium bit-rate results were fine. I should get eight files on a 32 Gb card so around three hours and 20 minutes and so on. I can see me using bigger cards - it takes cards up to 256 Gb - when I'm on a long run then smaller cards when I'm exploring an area, as we will be doing while we're in the Loire.

The next phase will be going for a run and seeing whether either of the two settings that look good so far copes better when moving.

A word to Sir Rupert who posted while I was drafting this. Thanks for relaying your experiences. I am a bit of an old woman about things like this. I don't buy the whizziest, all sing all dancing cards even from a major vendor but I only buy from the likes of Kingston and SanDisk. As you wrote, cheap cards may be fine but it's not worth the saving if you get back from holiday and find a chunk of your memories have disappeared and can't be recovered.

I wouldn't mind betting that many of these cards are made on the same production lines but what label goes on depends on how well they test at the end. A very long time ago, when I was 16, I worked at a food factory over the summer holidays. They made biscuits under their own brand and for others, too, but they were made identically. The very best-looking went to Marks & Spencer, who were very picky. The next group went under the factory brand and those that were absolutely fine as biscuits but we're slight misshapes want to a well-known, cheaper chain. They were all made from the same ingredients but the best got a premium. That'd be my guess for memory cards, too.

Keith

• Offline jmason   us

• Versys Pro  ‐    241

Offline jmason

• Versys Pro
    • Bike: 2018 V1000
    • City / Town: LITTLETON, CO
    Reply #6 on: July 27, 2022, 06:48:29 pm
    July 27, 2022, 06:48:29 pm
    *Originally Posted by Sir Rupert [+]

So, don't be a cheapskate like me and risk compromising the job with a less-than-adequate SD card and reader: buy the best quality ones!

I learned my lesson with that as well. Cheaper card for my dashcam. Then about every 2 weeks or so the camera would shut down until I reformatted the card.  Put in a better card, no more issues.

For my bike and DJI drone, I use either samsung EVO Plus or Sandisk Extreme Pro.  These are recommended for the Drone, and are more than adequate for my bike cams.

• Offline Sir Rupert   gb

• Versys Pro  ‐    241

Offline Sir Rupert

• Versys Pro
    Reply #7 on: July 28, 2022, 09:33:43 am
    July 28, 2022, 09:33:43 am
    *Originally Posted by Rockdoc [+]

I wouldn't mind betting that many of these cards are made on the same production lines but what label goes on depends on how well they test at the end. A very long time ago, when I was 16, I worked at a food factory over the summer holidays. They made biscuits under their own brand and for others, too, but they were made identically. The very best-looking went to Marks & Spencer, who were very picky. The next group went under the factory brand and those that were absolutely fine as biscuits but we're slight misshapes want to a well-known, cheaper chain. They were all made from the same ingredients but the best got a premium. That'd be my guess for memory cards, too.

Keith

:762: More than likely!
    Socially distant since 1954.

waggish