Author Electronic Cruise Control 2017 V1k  (Read 942 times)

• Offline Dannyboy1949   us

• Versys Pro  ‐    212
    • Topic Author

Offline Dannyboy1949

• Versys Pro
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: 2017 Versys 1000
    • City / Town: Medford, Oregon
    Electronic Cruise Control 2017 V1k
    on: February 09, 2024, 09:31:51 pm
    February 09, 2024, 09:31:51 pm
    When I sold my previous motorcycle, a full on tourer, I found that the only thing I sorely missed on the then new 2017 Versys V1k was electronic cruise control. There is no substitute for it, regardless of all the ads we see, and anybody who rides in non-flat areas of the country would likely agree. Throttle locks don't even come close.

I'm planning on an 8k mile trip in June, taking a loop around the USA with a riding buddy, and finally decide to pull the trigger on a true cruise control. Of course Mccruise is the go-to top of the line option, but for many of us it's unaffordable. I chose to do the Rostra install.

Although I spent a lot of time being frustrated: wanting to fab my own control switches and use the Kaw Vehicle Speed Sensor wire for output to the Rostra unit, all said and done this is a totally doable project for anyone with patience and a reasonable ability to follow written instructions. Researching everything I could find on the net about Rostra/motorcycle installations was invaluable as well. I worked on the install for 3 weeks. Now, I think I could do on in a weekend. You can't beat experience and hindsight!

If someone asks me if it's a good idea to take on this project, I'd have a hard time answering them. Too many variables to consider. Some people get pretty judgey about these things and love to nitpick, such as the "it's not designed for motorcycles". Or, if you want CC, buy a bike that has one. The loudest opinions usually coming from those who have no personal experience with the subject at hand, therefor carrying little weight. Properly installed, the Rostra works great...as do the Rostra units that were installed at the factory on Victory motorcycles. It's ALL in the installation and setup.

This point of this post is not to generate any controversy, but rather to encourage owners to go their own way, do their own thing, and spend their own money and time as they see fit. The Rostra can be a safe and reliable solution to a rider's need for electronic cruise control on a bike they already own, and in my case, have modded out extensively for touring...I didn't want to start over on all that. It's all about comfort and convenience for me at my age and the V1k is finally the perfect touring bike for me.
    I used to do self deprecating humor, but I wasn't very good at it.

• Offline reasonable   nz

• Versys Member  ‐    19

Offline reasonable

• Versys Member
    • Bike: 'Cundilini' Gen 2
    • City / Town: Wellington
    Re: Electronic Cruise Control 2017 V1k
    Reply #1 on: February 09, 2024, 11:52:42 pm
    February 09, 2024, 11:52:42 pm
    Good post .

I had a McCruise on my DL650 and I used it all the time . Didn't realise how much its useful for on a motorcycle - especially for relaxing the throttle hand on long journeys , the ability to adjust for the gradient of the road and for keeping to the limit when there's a speed blitz on .

I wish I had the electronic nous to be able to fit one myself but no I'll have to get someone to do the work , I'm so envious of you guys able to do your own work .

I'm loving my red Versys 2018 but I know I need a cruise . I love the colour of this bike & the simplicity eg. no electronic reminder to have a service , no quick shifter etc

I'm pretty sure I'm going to swing for a McCruise but I know its cheaper to have a bike which comes with cruise already fitted

Red Versys 1000, DL650A & XT250, KLR650, 26 year gap no bike, CB900 Bol'dor, RD350LC, CB125T

• Offline RaYzerman   ca

• Versys Master  ‐    521

Offline RaYzerman

• Versys Master
    • Bike: 2016 V1000 LT
    • City / Town: Millgrove, ON
    Reply #2 on: February 10, 2024, 02:01:06 pm
    February 10, 2024, 02:01:06 pm
    Dannyboy, I can appreciate what went into it, similar thing we did when the Audiovox (car) kits were available.... Curious how you did the throttle cable hookup to the throttle body.........

Reasonable, I put a McCruise kit on mine.  There are roughly 50 pages of instructions where even a monkey couldn't mess it up........ every detail covered.  If that's what you want, go for it.
    2016 V1000 LT,  '99 VFR 800
    Experience is a great teacher, she gives you the tests first and the lessons later.

• Offline Keener   ca

• Versys God  ‐    1836

Offline Keener

• Versys God
    • Bike: 2015 Versys 1000
    Reply #3 on: February 10, 2024, 05:28:03 pm
    February 10, 2024, 05:28:03 pm
    Welcome back Dannyboy1949  .
    Cheers
    Keener :002:

• Offline Versys-V1K   us

• Versys Pro  ‐    200

Offline Versys-V1K

• Versys Pro
    • City / Town: Minneapolis
    Reply #4 on: February 11, 2024, 04:42:53 am
    February 11, 2024, 04:42:53 am
    Couldn't agree more with you. I put the Rostra on my 2015 before I went on a long cross country trip this past year. Have never looked back after its install.

It's a little challenging to install, but with the help of the internet, dedication, ingenuity and know how, it's doable. Not to mention the benefits from having it.

Saw no sense in paying through the nose for the expensive Plug-n-Play one.

*Originally Posted by Dannyboy1949 [+]
    Mccruise is the go-to top of the line option, but for many of us it's unaffordable. I chose to do the Rostra install.

Properly installed, the Rostra works great...It's ALL in the installation and setup.

The Rostra can be a safe and reliable solution to a rider's need for electronic cruise control on a bike they already own, and in my case, have modded out extensively for touring...I didn't want to start over on all that.
    Last Edit: February 11, 2024, 04:44:11 am by Versys-V1K

• Offline Keener   ca

• Versys God  ‐    1836

Offline Keener

• Versys God
    Reply #5 on: February 11, 2024, 06:44:14 am
    February 11, 2024, 06:44:14 am
    I like this Cruise control idea ,my 2015 of course doesnt have one but last years tours did entail some slab riding getting to the twisty roads and a proper Cruise control would have come in handy . So far i gather that Rostra and McCruise are good , are there any others that you all could suggest . I am fairly mechanically adept aslong as the instructions are good I am on board .
    Cheers :7:
    Keener
    Last Edit: February 11, 2024, 06:46:57 am by Keener

• Offline Versys-V1K   us

• Versys Pro  ‐    200

Offline Versys-V1K

• Versys Pro
    • City / Town: Minneapolis
    Reply #6 on: February 11, 2024, 11:53:35 am
    February 11, 2024, 11:53:35 am
    *Originally Posted by Keener [+]
    So far i gather that Rostra and McCruise are good , are there any others that you all could suggest?

They were the only two that I knew of at the time. However, this brand popped up on the radar later. It seems geared towards newer, KTM bikes though. Their prices seem very reasonable too, but I didn't bother to research them, since my Rostra was already installed.

https://veridiancruise.com/

• Offline RaYzerman   ca

• Versys Master  ‐    521

Offline RaYzerman

• Versys Master
    • Bike: 2016 V1000 LT
    • City / Town: Millgrove, ON
    Reply #7 on: February 11, 2024, 01:17:27 pm
    February 11, 2024, 01:17:27 pm
    It would appear the Veridian is bike specific, must have throttle by wire, and simply connects to the diagnostic port...... very interesting though.
    2016 V1000 LT,  '99 VFR 800
    Experience is a great teacher, she gives you the tests first and the lessons later.

• Offline Dannyboy1949   us

• Versys Pro  ‐    212
    • Topic Author

Offline Dannyboy1949

• Versys Pro
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: 2017 Versys 1000
    • City / Town: Medford, Oregon
    Reply #8 on: February 12, 2024, 10:51:04 pm
    February 12, 2024, 10:51:04 pm
    Thanks for the welcome back Keener.

The internet forums are a fantastic resource for those who are DIY minded. This Rostra install was a perfect example. Over the past few years a number of brave souls have not only had the courage to take on this project, but have also taken the time to document and share their journeys. Finding Versys 1000 specific info on this is extremely difficult (I found none), but by the time you read and watch videos of installations done on other bikes you get a pretty good feel for how to go about it. I tip my hat to those folks who take the trouble to share their hard earned technical knowledge.
    I used to do self deprecating humor, but I wasn't very good at it.