Top Posters Today

TallyRex
1 Posts

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: OEM Bridgestones done at 5k  (Read 11867 times)

Offline mikep

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: Satsuma 2015
  • City / Town: Lafayette, LA
Re: OEM Bridgestones done at 5k
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2016, 02:47:39 PM »
*Originally Posted by Rob1963 [+]
Has anyone tried Metzeler Z8's?

I will be getting a set next week after 11,000 km on the OEM. They probably have another 1,000 or so left in them but the rear is super square.

Rob;
My V is too new to have tried many tire brands. But, I did try a previous iteration of the Z8 (forget which,Z6 maybe) on my old ST1300.  The rear squared off quickly and the front made lots of noise.  Never went back there. Don't know about the Z8.

The V may be a little easier on the front tire than the ST or FJR.  But, seems like it'll eat just about any currently offered rear from the tire manufacturers. 

It's a conspiracy  :5:

Offline Claudio Luis

• Versys Newbie
  • Bike: Kawa Versys 1000
  • City / Town: La Pobla de Vall
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2016, 03:08:46 PM »
hola 6000 km con los T30 de origen de momento bien , podre hacer unos 2000 km mas,  el delantero demasiado duro  , cuando los cambie sera T 30 GT EVO trasera y 016 Pro delantera ,
Claudio Luis

Online 100milesaway

• Versys God
  • Bike: Versys 1000
  • City / Town: Leyburn. N Yorks
« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2016, 03:09:50 PM »
*Originally Posted by mikep [+]
Rob;
My V is too new to have tried many tire brands. But, I did try a previous iteration of the Z8 (forget which,Z6 maybe) on my old ST1300.  The rear squared off quickly and the front made lots of noise.  Never went back there. Don't know about the Z8.

The V may be a little easier on the front tire than the ST or FJR.  But, seems like it'll eat just about any currently offered rear from the tire manufacturers. 

It's a conspiracy  :5:
Not so.              It doesn't eat Avon Storm 3D XM s.
If man evolved from monkeys, why are there still monkeys?

Offline saddlebag

• Versys God
  • Bike: V1K
  • City / Town: Ohiya
« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2016, 03:11:54 PM »
*Originally Posted by Rob1963 [+]
Has anyone tried Metzeler Z8's?

I will be getting a set next week after 11,000 km on the OEM. They probably have another 1,000 or so left in them but the rear is super square.

I'm running the Roadtec 01 which is the latest iteration. Very good. I recall a reviewer noting that the compound is similar to the Z8, with new tread pattern. If you can get Z8 on discount, there's probably not enough difference to worry about. Especially since you shouldn't be too worried about rain where you're at.

Offline saddlebag

• Versys God
« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2016, 03:14:31 PM »
*Originally Posted by 100milesaway [+]

He lives in a desert. Worse than Ft Worth! Heat kills...quick.

Offline mikep

• Versys Pro
« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2016, 03:33:18 PM »
*Originally Posted by 100milesaway [+]

I kinda figured 100milesaway would mention the Avons.  :028:   I intentionally put the qualifier in there for you. "..eat just about any... "   I'm gonna get around to the Avons, next set. 

I guess I demand a lot from a moto tire.  I live 450 miles from the nearest road that even resembles a twistie, translates to many flat miles to burn up the center section of a tire.  I think I've worn out the sides of one set of tires in my life, still don't know how that happened. 

Oh well, such is life living down here.  I've retired from one career, still working however.  Just to buy more moto tires.   :biker1: :biker1:  and  :031: :031:

Offline mikep

• Versys Pro
« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2016, 03:51:53 PM »
With all this talk about poor tire mileage and no darksider with a 'solution'?  Just for the sake of discussion, what are the recommendations for the V? 

I met up with a bunch of ST1300 riders last weekend and a few were happily running car tires, some up to 60k miles!  Kinda got me thinking.

Offline darksidemxer

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 2015 V1K
  • City / Town: brooksville
« Reply #27 on: October 13, 2016, 05:16:41 PM »
I cant picture cornering with a car tire. Our tires are made to corner, our bikes are made to corner. Id do a car tire on a valkyrie but not a sport touring bike. Btw my avon storm look great after 5k miles.

Offline mikep

• Versys Pro
« Reply #28 on: October 13, 2016, 05:21:16 PM »
Sorry; Not trying to start a darkside discussion here.  Maybe some other time and place. 

Offline saddlebag

• Versys God
« Reply #29 on: October 13, 2016, 05:23:57 PM »
*Originally Posted by mikep [+]
With all this talk about poor tire mileage and no darksider with a 'solution'?  Just for the sake of discussion, what are the recommendations for the V? 

I met up with a bunch of ST1300 riders last weekend and a few were happily running car tires, some up to 60k miles!  Kinda got me thinking.

It's actually popular in cruiser circles. I don't even like the feeling of a MC tire that's getting a flatspot, let alone buying a brand new tire that is completely flat. Bead isn't the right size for MC rims either. Still a lot of people do it. I guess they probably save money on hammers by hammering nails with wrenches too.
Besides the flat spot, they are also going to weigh a lot more. You're suspension wasn't designed for that kinda unsprung weight, but depending where and how hard one rides, it may not make that much difference.
There was one guy on the Vic site who had a long gravel/dirt driveway. He said the car tire made that feel much more stable traversing that. Made sense to me. I've had the Versys on such roads. I get off them at my earliest convenience...

Recent Topics