Author Topic: Admore topcase light wiring  (Read 3234 times)

Offline hobzinho

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: V1k '16
  • City / Town: N. CA
Admore topcase light wiring
on: October 29, 2016, 09:00:15 PM
I almost never attempt electrical work myself but this seems(ed) so easy I want to give it a go.  From this previous post https://www.versys1000.com/index.php/topic,16568.msg192054.html#msg192054 I found the V's wiring colors as:

Ground***Black with yellow tracer
Right Signal***grey} color going into connector before light
Left Signal***green }  "  "  "
Tail & license plate***brown with yellow tracer  ""  "
Brake ***blue with red tracer  "   "

So it may be my misunderstanding, but when I tease apart the wiring I have 2 brown with yellow wires.  I assume one is tail light and one is license plate?  Install instructions say to use the tail light wire for the +12v switched connection.  So how do I know which of the brown/yellow wires is tail and which license plate?  Does it even matter?

I don't know how to solder so I'm using positaps, which I used on my last bike and seemed to work fine.

Thanks for the help!

Offline weljo2001

• Versys God
  • Bike: 2016 Versys 1000LT
  • City / Town: Norwalk,CA
Re: Admore topcase light wiring
Reply #1 on: October 29, 2016, 10:31:29 PM
Thats my post. I ran into the same thing with the 2 brown with yellow tracer wires. I just grabbed the first one i got to and used it and it worked. I don't think you can choose wrong there. I used the postitaps that came with my Admore light kit no issues....
I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett

Offline hobzinho

• Versys Pro
Reply #2 on: October 29, 2016, 11:03:44 PM
*Originally Posted by weljo2001 [+]
Thats my post. I ran into the same thing with the 2 brown with yellow tracer wires. I just grabbed the first one i got to and used it and it worked. I don't think you can choose wrong there. I used the postitaps that came with my Admore light kit no issues....

Awesome.  Thanks.  Do you get any lag in the admore lights coming on?  I did on my old bike.  Wasn't sure if it's the light kit or the bike.  Not a big deal.  Still love having more lights up high.

Offline weljo2001

• Versys God
Reply #3 on: October 29, 2016, 11:18:08 PM
*Originally Posted by hobzinho [+]
Awesome.  Thanks.  Do you get any lag in the admore lights coming on?  I did on my old bike.  Wasn't sure if it's the light kit or the bike.  Not a big deal.  Still love having more lights up high.

Never had an issue with lag. I have the Admore light kit for my Givi E-55 top case and an Large Admore Light Bar. I broke one of the pins in the top case connectors so i just use the Light Bar. I've had the light kit in that top case since 2010 and broke a pin about 3 years ago they get brittle over the years. Admore re-built it for free back then. This time i didn't bother with it and just use the light bar.

P1010446 by weljo2001, on Flickr

Offline hobzinho

• Versys Pro
Reply #4 on: October 30, 2016, 01:32:45 AM
All great when it all works.  Have the light kit all wired in. Everything works except the front brake light.  Running lights, both turn signals and the brake light when pushing the rear brake pedal.  The front brake lever doesn't activate any brake lights anymore, top case or OEM.

Any suggestions?  Seems weird the brake light would work with one lever and not the other.  I did ground the light kit to the ground wire (black/yellow.)  Should it be grounded directly?

Offline weljo2001

• Versys God
Reply #5 on: October 30, 2016, 01:54:19 AM
All great when it all works.  Have the light kit all wired in. Everything works except the front brake light.  Running lights, both turn signals and the brake light when pushing the rear brake pedal.  The front brake lever doesn't activate any brake lights anymore, top case or OEM.

Any suggestions?  Seems weird the brake light would work with one lever and not the other.  I did ground the light kit to the ground wire (black/yellow.)  Should it be grounded directly?

I just went out and checked mine the light works when i use my front brakes....

I took the Admore Wiring Harness for my FJR cut off the plugs and Posi-Taped the bikes wires to it. Works Great also ran the wire from my GPS to it to get a switched connection. The double wires you see in the photo is the top case wires and the light bar wires.   ( the top case wires and light bar wires are the same color. So the red & blue wire are both connected to the tail light wire )

Untitled by weljo2001, on Flickr

Electrical by weljo2001, on Flickr

Last Edit: October 30, 2016, 02:00:06 AM by weljo2001

Offline hobzinho

• Versys Pro
Reply #6 on: October 30, 2016, 03:40:45 AM
Much cleaner looking install.  I just positapped directly to the wires.  Can't understand why front brake light doesn't work.  Concerning thing is it's not just the admore lights but the oem light too.

I knew there was a reason I stay away from electrical work. :125:

Offline hobzinho

• Versys Pro
Reply #7 on: October 30, 2016, 05:39:32 PM
Problem solved, and it didn't have anything to do with my noob install skills.  The little L-shaped connector right below the front brake lever had slipped off.  For all I know I've been riding for quite a while without the brake light off my front lever.  My guess is when the dealer installed the hand guards. In any case, all lights working properly now.   :celebrate:

Offline weljo2001

• Versys God
Reply #8 on: October 30, 2016, 05:52:31 PM
Problem solved, and it didn't have anything to do with my noob install skills.  The little L-shaped connector right below the front brake lever had slipped off.  For all I know I've been riding for quite a while without the brake light off my front lever.  My guess is when the dealer installed the hand guards. In any case, all lights working properly now.   :celebrate:

Good Deal.... :002:

Offline weljo2001

• Versys God
Reply #9 on: October 30, 2016, 09:30:04 PM
I'm glad you posted this thread. July when i installed everything it was the first time i had to tap or cut into wires on a bike so i was a little nervous about it. So when the top case lights didn't come on i tried them by themselves and still nothing so i gave up quick and just said oh well no top case lights then. It made me go double check the connectors today. Couldn't see anything wrong so after the tiny rain we had today i got the Admore Wiring that connects to the bikes wiring and hooked it up to the harness with my admore light bar wiring and gps wires. Made sure all the connections were clean and snug. Fired up the bike and Bingo... Top Case Lights, Light Bar & GPS were working. Nice to have the top case lights working again. Have been using this top case with the light kit since 2010 now on its 3rd bike.   :celebrate: :celebrate: :celebrate:
Last Edit: October 30, 2016, 09:34:32 PM by weljo2001

waggish